Configurable Wind

Ask questions about creating worlds, using worlds, etc.
Ilan Tochner

Re: Configurable Wind

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Kayaker,

Kitely has its own improved implementation of megaregions called Advanceed Megaregions, which already fixes various problems that exist in regular OpenSim megaregions. We are not bound by the decisions of other OpenSim developers so please don't assume that because they aren't going to fix existing issues that we won't either. If the fixes are simple and don't create other problems then we won't wait until Varregions are out to see if they are better than our Advanced Megaregions.

During the meeting I asked you for a concentrated list of all the problems you can find with megaregions so we could review them once we have time to do so. As you may know, we're constantly working on improving both our own proprietary systems and various OpenSim components, the fact that we don't fix every reported problem promptly doesn't mean we don't intend to fix it once we finish working on more urgent things.

I understand your frustration but as a developer yourself I'm sure your aware of the limits of what can be done in a certain amount of time and how things need to be prioritized in a project for it to converge towards completion. If there is an issue that bothers you the best way to get us to fix it sooner rather than later is to post about it in our forums in a constructive manner that we can use to find and fix the problem and then promptly provide us with additional information when we ask for it. Stating what other developers outside of our organization have said about their own opinions about OpenSim components which we no longer use (e.g. inventory system, asset system, megaregions, sim startup sequence, etc.) and complaining about their behavior as if it was our own is not really fair or productive. Less emotion and more facts lets us focus our resources on making the system better. The more chewed up and focused the information you provide us the easier it becomes for us to review the problem and allocate time to fix it.

Please create a new forum post and use it to concentrate the information you know (as a developer) we'll need to hunt down and fix the existing problems with megaregions.

EDIT: Which I see you just did :-) http://www.kitely.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1145
Oren Hurvitz

Post by Oren Hurvitz »

We changed osSetWindParam() to take effect immediately. See http://www.kitely.com/virtual-world-new ... g-physics/.
These users thanked the author Oren Hurvitz for the post (total 2):
Constance PeregrineJack Spade
Bri Hasp

Re:Wind and Sailing

Post by Bri Hasp »

A touch of the five year+ frustrations .. (and I'm considering trying again after a 2 year break?)
At the time I gave up.. the whys:

ODE.. however, Bullet on OSGrid appears to be the answer.
LSL .. vehicle functions appear to be near complete and debugged.
Crossings .. broken and probably may stay broken for vehicles.
Megas .. many needed capabilities stay inside the SW corner.
Wind .. status is well Forum stated, but can code a boat wind and sync it.

From 5 years ago :) Feb, 2009
The biggest problem with vehicles at present is there doesn't seem to be a way to get them to turn without resorting to llSetRot. I was happily banging out my own little adaptable engine in LSL using llSetForce and timer for parsing friction until I realized that llTargetOmega freezes up under physics in OpenSim. I was wondering if I was doing something wrong with llTargetOmega until I looked at some of the vehicle examples on OSGrid.

Without either llTargetOmega or llSetRotationalImpulse we'll be unable to create a 'real' physics angular motor a la 'VEHICLE_ANGULAR_MOTOR_DIRECTION' until it's implemented. We'll probably kludge a non-phys rotation script myself, but I was hoping. :cry:

Best Reply;
We have what we have - and it works inconsistently, as the code beneath it remains in a state of flux.
Do the best you can until you can do better.
Until we did this, there were -no vehicles at all-

Cheers Hiro
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Bri,

Kitely has Advanced Megaregions which solve most of the problems that exist with regular OpenSim megaregions:

http://www.kitely.com/virtual-world-new ... g-physics/
http://www.kitely.com/virtual-world-new ... cel-media/

With the existence of Advanced Megaregions in Kitely, vehicle region crossing performance becomes irrelevant.

As for physics, we're waiting to see if BulletSim solves the problems that exist with ODE. Intel is constantly working on improving it so we hope it will be ready in a few months.
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

Slightly off-topic but nice example of a speedboat on a 4x4 advanced megaregion:

http://www.kitely.com/virtual-world/Mar ... 16-Regions
Ilan Tochner wrote: Kitely has Advanced Megaregions which solve most of the problems that exist with regular OpenSim megaregions:
These users thanked the author Graham Mills for the post (total 2):
Constance PeregrineKayaker Magic
Kayaker Magic

Post by Kayaker Magic »

Graham Mills wrote:Slightly off-topic but nice example of a speedboat on a 4x4 advanced megaregion:
That is a nice speedboat! How does it work? I don't expect ODE to work that well! I make my boats move by calling llSetKeyframedMotion, making that function sort of behave like llMoveToTarget, except on non-physical vehicles, and reliably (unlike llMoveToTarget) and with a linear velocity (unlike llMoveToTarget).