Very hard to teleport to other grids

Ask questions about creating worlds, using worlds, etc.
Ada Radius

Re: Very hard to teleport to other grids

Post by Ada Radius »

I uninstalled FS v 6.5.3.6568 and installed 6.4.21.64531. I'm teleporting fine to both OSGrid and Discovery grid addresses.
These users thanked the author Ada Radius for the post (total 4):
Ilan TochnerGraham MillsVeritas McMasterBrendan Shoreland
Balpien Hammerer

Post by Balpien Hammerer »

I think I found the reason why FS 6.5.3 is giving Kitely people problems. More later.

(Later arrived)
This took a while to figure out. Many avatars had to hop (thank you all who helped) and viewer logs were inspected to determine the root cause. This helped to get a 100% repro case.

Anyone who travels via hypergrid to or from Kitely, should stop using FS 6.5.3 and drop back to FS 6.4.x. Using 6.5.3 will result in your hop to/from Kitely to hang (externally it looks like a viewer crash). The problem is Vivox service related and has something to do with changes to voice support in Firestorm 6.5.3. BTW, travel between grids other than to/from Kitely will work OK on 6.5.3.

What's going on is that Kitely (and maybe a few other larger grids) use the commercial version of Vivox v5 while just about all other OpenSim grids (including DG) use the freebie/limited Vivox v5. This was not a problem until a code change in FS 6.5.3 which causes some kind of incompatibility when switching between grids that have the different Vivox service.

The problem lies with the latest Firestorm viewer. The FS team has been notified of the problem.

ciao.
These users thanked the author Balpien Hammerer for the post (total 6):
Ilan TochnerGraham MillsOren HurvitzBeq JanusChris NamasteVeritas McMaster
Beq Janus

Post by Beq Janus »

Hi all,
@balpien, you mentioned that we've been notified. Did you raise me a Jira? If so can you let me know the number as I don't think I've seen it?

The note about Vivox is intriguing. The primary voice change (the only one that immediately comes to mind) was the restoration of the feature formerly known as "hear voice equally". Interestingly this does not work in SL, though it certainly doesn't cause any login or tp related issues, it simply doesn't have any meaningful effect and as such is disabled for SL. If grids are using the same (or similar) newer versions of Vivox5 then I would expect the new feature to "do nothing", but it'll be interesting to explore if that has anything to do with this or whether there is some other voice-related silliness going on.

There was a comment elsewhere about "FS versions being blocked". Firstly, we are blocking the oldest active release, under our standard 3 release policy, but perhaps more importantly, it is worth keeping in mind that (to my knowledge) the blocks will not apply to OpenSim.

If there is no Jira yet created, I'd appreciate it if someone (ideally someone with logs to contribute) could raise one and add their logs and some repro steps. I can probably pick that out of this thread, but a Jira would help me track this properly.

regards

Beq
These users thanked the author Beq Janus for the post (total 2):
Ilan TochnerVeritas McMaster
Beq Janus

Post by Beq Janus »

Can I ask one of the users that is already able to reproduce this issue to do the following:
* copy the slvoice.exe from the previous FS version (An FS that you have confirmed will allow you to complete the HG hops) some place safe,
* then install the latest release.
* copy the slvoice.exe from the newly installed current release to some place safe (being careful not to overwrite the other version).
* copy the older slvoice.exe into the current release.
* run the viewer and test the hop

The fact that the viewer is failing to complete the login (not the plugin slvoice.exe) leads me to think that this should not make any difference and that disconnect will still happen; it would be great to rule this out though.

I'll try to have a look at this in the coming days but as it is Easter holidays, and family comes before viewer, so it may be a few days before I get to have a proper solid look into this.
These users thanked the author Beq Janus for the post:
Ilan Tochner
Beq Janus

Post by Beq Janus »

Another update:

I managed to reproduce this.
It would appear that the viewer gets stuck in a hard loop inside a function called waitForChannel(). LL made some changes 6 months ago, restructuring this function into a new state model. I'll have to work through that code to figure out what is happening to 1) get to that state 2) why it does not proceed to the next state.
These users thanked the author Beq Janus for the post (total 2):
Ilan TochnerGenavieve Page
Beq Janus

Post by Beq Janus »

Last post for tonight.
I've fixed the underlying problem and I'll commit the change after a few more tests.

The problem was introduced by LL, during some refactoring of their voice connect logic. As far as I can tell their state model is broken but they manage to get away with it because the specific state we are triggering does not occur in SL (I am assuming this is caused when transitioning between server versions),

It is worth noting that this bug will affect ALL viewers that have imported the changes made by LL 6 months ago. I'll pass my fix to the other TPVs as soon as I have confirmed it has no other side effects.

Sadly, as this was not caught during our beta period, it'll be stuck like this until the next release, I will see if I can get a new OpenSim release build made available but due to our support policy in SL, this might be difficult.
These users thanked the author Beq Janus for the post (total 7):
Ilan TochnerChris NamasteGraham MillsDot MatrixBalpien HammererTrouble AheadGenavieve Page
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Thank you for the hard work Beq, I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that many OpenSim users appreciate your prompt response and quick fix to this problem.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 5):
Chris NamasteGraham MillsBalpien HammererTrouble AheadGenavieve Page
Balpien Hammerer

Post by Balpien Hammerer »

Beq Janus wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:46 am
Last post for tonight.
I've fixed the underlying problem and I'll commit the change after a few more tests.
Great turnaround on developing a fix, Beq!

And yes, I sent you an email about the problem. I tried logging into JIRA but couldn't recall my password (been a long while).
These users thanked the author Balpien Hammerer for the post (total 3):
Ilan TochnerGraham MillsSelby Evans
Angela Payne
Has thanked: 0

Post by Angela Payne »

Just a quick note of thanks to all involved in finding a solution to the problem.
Greetings,
Angela
These users thanked the author Angela Payne for the post (total 2):
Ilan TochnerTrouble Ahead
Tess Juel

Post by Tess Juel »

Beq Janus wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:46 am
Sadly, as this was not caught during our beta period.
I wonder why. I've used the 6.5.3.65658 since it was released as beta and I have no tp problems whatsoever. How comes this bug only affects some users and not everybody?
These users thanked the author Tess Juel for the post (total 2):
Graham MillsGenavieve Page