KITELY INACTIVITY DETECTOR

Ask questions about creating worlds, using worlds, etc.
Shandon Loring

KITELY INACTIVITY DETECTOR

Post by Shandon Loring »

It appears that at the same moment the Kitely Inactivity Detector triggers, the user is immediately logged out, with no grace period to click the I'M HERE button. I'm pretty sure it did not used to be this way. The dialogue specifies the user must click "Within 1 Minute".

Would be great to get this corrected, and while we're at it, would it be possible to give more than 1 minute?

Thank you!
These users thanked the author Shandon Loring for the post (total 4):
Ilan TochnerGregg LegendaryVeritas McMasterChris Namaste
Ilan Tochner

Re: KITELY INACTIVITY DETECTOR

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Shandon,

We haven't changed anything on our end that relates to this function in years. What version of Firestorm are you using? Did you enable the viewer's own idle disconnect? Do you get the same behaviour when logged into the Kitely Welcome Center?
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 2):
Veritas McMasterChris Namaste
Shandon Loring

Post by Shandon Loring »

Hi Ilan,
Various visitors have complained to me about this for quite awhile now, but I never did follow up, I just figured it was a, you know, user thing... sorry guys.
Last night however I did catch it happening on our live video.
This video was captured by a non-premium kitely member...
The full video is at: https://bit.ly/slr-mando623-yt
(Timeout occurs at 1:03:33)

But to save you from wading through the whole thing, here is the excerpt of it happening:
https://youtu.be/kpoXpp1miIU
(Timeout occurs at 0:17)

In answer to your questions:
- FS OS version 6.4.21.64531
- Viewer Away Timeout set to Never
- Does it happen at KWC? Dunno... I'll log in and run a vid cap to find out

Thank you Ilan
These users thanked the author Shandon Loring for the post (total 2):
Gregg LegendaryVeritas McMaster
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

The warning should appear a minute before the timeout. I suggest you set an alarm clock for 58 minutes after you finish logging into the world and moving your avatar a bit forward to ensure the system reset the timer. Them come back inworld when you hear the alarm and see when the warning is given and whether you can click the warning reset button when it appears.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Veritas McMaster
Shandon Loring

Post by Shandon Loring »

Test Results:
KWC did not log out of course, but tested for completeness sake... 83 minutes later still logged in

Tested at Wunderland, KID behaved correctly.. at 1 hour the warning came up, and 1 minute 3 seconds later user was Timed Out
see this video--> https://youtu.be/YWJ5foHN-aI

OP was Thursday night at Tatooine, where, as noted previously, the warning came up at the 1 hour mark, and then immediately disconnected, with no grace period before time out. This behavior is what has been reported to me by others, but I got it on video this time.
PLEASE see this video--> https://youtu.be/kpoXpp1miIU

So I tested one more time just now at Tatooine, and it works correctly this time.
So issue appears to be intermittent, but very real.

In any event, while this negative experience is very frustrating, especially when trying to build audience, I'm sure you have more significant things to be concerned with, but I'm curious, is the Kitely Inactivity Detector somehow available to be accessed with a script that some clever person could utilize to trigger additional warnings for the Avatar?

Thanks Ilan!
These users thanked the author Shandon Loring for the post (total 2):
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Messages to the viewer are sent over UDP (not our choice, that's how the viewer works) and that can be delayed if the sim you're connected to is busy with network-related activity, your viewer/computer is busy downloading other things, or you're connected over an unreliable network connection (with non negligible packet loss).

You can add your own script-sent warning message in your world that would remind people once every 50 minutes (or some other value lower than 60 minutes) reminding people to move their avatar or type something into local chat. Both those things will reset the idle timeout timer for their avatar.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 2):
Shandon Loring

Post by Shandon Loring »

Being UDP makes sense, and explains the intermittency of it. Thank you for explaining.

We have attendees with all different levels of connectivity and hardware, and several may run multiple viewer instances.
Myself, for example, when doing a 2-way presentation will have four viewer instances, two each in Kitely & SL, in order to present the story in both places, AND to provide a live camera feed from both places, plus running OBS, Shoutcast, Live Stream to Youtube, and audio shaping/mixing/recording software, Vivox, and using 4 video monitors. And while I've got a reasonably powerful machine and a pretty big internet pipe, it's easy to envision the timeout packet getting lost in all that.

Great idea on an inworld reminder script, and we had been doing that with a "flash-bang" that goes off every 30 minutes...
(30 minutes because we don't know when early arrivals actually arrived)

But it is intrusive to the presentation, and not necessary for premium members and those that are already watching the screen for timeout messages, but if they're not watching for timeouts they won't see the flash either.

So we took to having the storyteller remind people every 30 minutes in voice during the story, but it is an added burden on the storyteller, and again intrusive, especially since we're presenting on multiple grids simultaneously, including grids without time outs so it is confusing to those people.

That's why I was wondering if KID was accessible by an inworld script, that we could then build some clever HUD for that attendees could wear. Not sure what form that would take anyway though.

Alternatively, if we could turn off auto-timeout on the sim we're presenting on for the duration of the presentation that would be awesome too.

The third alternative is... and I assume this is the most likely one... we just forget about it and move along, move along, nothing to see here.
Because really, this is just one of those things, and I know you have much bigger fish a-fryin'! :lol:

Thank you, as always, for your quick helps Ilan.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

This isn't on something configurable. The only way currently available to you is to switch the world to being a Dedicated Server world, which would increase the idle timeout from 1 hour to 3 hours.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Veritas McMaster
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

Not sure it's any better than what you already have but there was this from many moons ago https://www.kitely.com/market/product/9902274/HUD-timer
These users thanked the author Graham Mills for the post (total 4):
Ilan TochnerShandon LoringVeritas McMasterChris Namaste
Shandon Loring

Post by Shandon Loring »

thank you
These users thanked the author Shandon Loring for the post (total 3):
Graham MillsVeritas McMasterChris Namaste