Slow loading region

Ask questions about creating worlds, using worlds, etc.
Tess Juel

Re: Slow loading region

Post by Tess Juel »

Oren Hurvitz wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:46 am
including in boxes and nested boxes.

The reason that you didn't see an immediately change in startup time after deleting assets is that we only update the list of assets in a world once a day.
Thank you Oren!

Two more questions though, does this affect the simulator's performance after it has started up too?

and:
142,570 assets totaling 13 GB
That's 100 bytes per asset. So it's only some of the data from the assets database that is loaded when the simulator starts, not all of it and not texture files, mesh asset files and such, right?

142,570 assets in a 4x4 sim isn't actually that much btw. With 120,000 prims available you can easily end up with more than half a million
Oren Hurvitz

Post by Oren Hurvitz »

The speed of the simulator is not affected by the number of assets, but by the number of prims, scripts, physics etc. So assets in boxes don't affect the runtime speed.

The assets absolutely do include large assets such as textures and meshes. The average size may be small, but some of the assets are large.

When I talk about number of assets, I mean unique assets. So if e.g. a tree texture is used in a thousand trees, that still only counts as one asset. From that perspective, even if you have 120,000 prims I wouldn't expect the world to use that many assets, because most prims would reuse assets that other prims are also using.
These users thanked the author Oren Hurvitz for the post (total 2):
Tess JuelChris Namaste
Tess Juel

Post by Tess Juel »

Oren Hurvitz wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:27 am
So if e.g. a tree texture is used in a thousand trees, that still only counts as one asset.
So the answer is to use OPQ trees then ;)

Blatant self promotion aside, I have actually been to worlds on Kitely filled to capacity and with hardly any duplicated assets and yes, they do take ages to start. I remember one in particular where you often had to wait 15 minutes or more. It's gone now fortunately.

Thanks a lot, Oren! You actually answered not only my questions here but also a few otehrs I've been wondering about.

But it's so rare to find a developer who gives straight and understandable answers so if I can bother you with one more question: How does the terrain affect performance? I've always recommended to use terraforming for all its worth if it can reduce the number of rezzed objects but I've noticed that the more complex the ground mesh is, the slower it loads so I'm not sure if that ios good advice.
Oren Hurvitz

Post by Oren Hurvitz »

Hmm, I'm a little confused by the question. If you're asking about the regular OpenSim terrain then it isn't mesh-based. E.g., you can't create a cave using the terrain tools. This type of terrain doesn't affect the speed of the world, no matter how many mountains or jagged hills you create.

But if you mean using actual mesh objects to simulate terrain, then in that case more complex meshes do run slower, although I'm not sure by how much. I'm guessing the main source of the slowdown would be due to physics, because OpenSim would have to perform physics calculations to keep avatars standing on top of the terrain instead of sinking down. These calculations aren't needed when using native OpenSim terrain.
These users thanked the author Oren Hurvitz for the post:
Tess Juel
Tess Juel

Post by Tess Juel »

Oren Hurvitz wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:25 pm
Hmm, I'm a little confused by the question. If you're asking about the regular OpenSim terrain then it isn't mesh-based.
I meant the regular OpenSim terrain- Ground mesh is what LL calls it and I thought was the case here too. (Sorry about the confusion but in 3D modelling "mesh" is a generic term for any object/feature/asset that is made from polygons stretched between vertices. The correct name for what we usually refer to as mesh is "polylist mesh" but that name is of course a bit too akward and long to be used on a daily basis.)

That being said, it would be interesting to know how heavy polylist meshes as terrain are too. With ubOde they do show up with horrendously high LI in the viewer of course but that's not recognised by the server and even Ubit himself admits that's just an error in the way the viewer calculates physics weight. I've asked him