Terraforming coastline

Ask questions about creating worlds, using worlds, etc.
Brendan Shoreland

Terraforming coastline

Post by Brendan Shoreland »

I'm inhabiting ReGen, a 16 region world, upgraded from 4 regions. I'm trying to reduce the coastline to one metre all around the edge so that I can alter region water height (from 19 metres to 13 metres). I have no problem terraforming along south and west edges, but seem unable to lower north and east coastline. I've had to resort to building a wall to hide the gap between water and edge of the land. I'm on browser Firestorm 6.6.3.67470.

Is there something I'm doing wrong?
These users thanked the author Brendan Shoreland for the post:
Ilan Tochner
Ilan Tochner

Re: Terraforming coastline

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Brendan,

Have you tried selecting area then flattening it?
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Brendan Shoreland
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

Can't say whether it will solve your problem but I use this for most terraforming. Of course, it uses script functions to work its magic so if you can script you can probably do something simple yourself.

https://www.kitely.com/market/product/1 ... r=14006090

If you simply want flat land there is this https://www.kitely.com/market/product/3 ... Flatterner

It strikes me that you might want to check out some similarly sized worlds to see whether they have the same issue?
These users thanked the author Graham Mills for the post (total 3):
Ilan TochnerShandon LoringBrendan Shoreland
Shandon Loring

Post by Shandon Loring »

If you want to do full 16 regions at once you can use a megaprim with the Flattener script in it,
you'd need a 1024m x 1024m prim... if you want one holler and I'll send you one.
(incidentally I be happy to send even larger ones to anybody that might need one, and as mentioned in previous posting can make custome megaprims if anybody needs one)
These users thanked the author Shandon Loring for the post:
Brendan Shoreland
Tess Juel

Post by Tess Juel »

Shandon Loring wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:32 am
If you want to do full 16 regions at once you can use a megaprim with the Flattener script in it
How do you do that? The llModifyLand(); is only supposed to work on 2x2, 4x4 and 8x8 m areas regardless of the size of the object it is in.
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

Possibly osSetTerrainHeight. A prim might define the area but if you're covering the entire world then a simple nested loop might suffice.

http://opensimulator.org/wiki/OsSetTerrainHeight
Brendan Shoreland

I didn’t need the bulldozer for the south and west coastlines. I used the flattener tool and terraformed by hand and that all worked just fine. When it came to the east and north coastlines, neither the flattener tool nor hand terraforming worked, so I assumed that the bulldozer wouldn’t work either.

Following Graham’s advice, I invested in the bulldozer. It was probably the best $5.00 I’ve ever spent! What larks! (as Charles Dickens would have said). It’s great fun and has solved the problem of sealing down the edges. There's quite a lot of smoothing out and refining left to do, but the main problem has been resolved. Many thanks to you all for your contributions. :D
These users thanked the author Brendan Shoreland for the post (total 2):
Graham MillsDot Matrix
Brendan Shoreland

Ilan Tochner wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:51 pm
Hi Brendan,

Have you tried selecting area then flattening it?
Yes, I did try that, but the land towards the north west corner kept reverting when I moved on.
Shandon Loring

Post by Shandon Loring »

Tess Juel wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:36 am
Shandon Loring wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:32 am
If you want to do full 16 regions at once you can use a megaprim with the Flattener script in it
How do you do that? The llModifyLand(); is only supposed to work on 2x2, 4x4 and 8x8 m areas regardless of the size of the object it is in.
As mentioned above I too usually use Kayaker's Bulldozer script. Just drop it in whatever in a prim that is the size of whatever area you want to sculpt, in the case of 16 region area you can use a prim that is 1024m x 1024m x1m just fine.

Just for hoots I just now tested it on 2x2 (4 region) and 4x4 (16 region) worlds. I didn't bother with 6x6 or 8x8.
4 region worked fine, 16 region worked partially, but it after about terraforming about half the full area the script threw a timeout error.
So an obvious solution is to use a 512mx512m prim and just move it about as needed. Though I'd suspect the script could be adapted to work with any size.

As for HOW it works?? Well there is a reason Kayaker has the surname he does! :lol:
But watching it in action on large scale, I would guess it does nested looping as Graham suggests.

oh and for sealing down edges, I've run into that also upon occasion, where the terraforming just wouldn't stay terraformed.. until.
I used the same script above in a prim that was the length of the region (i.e. 256, 512, whatever) x 0.5m.

Another option is Storylink Radio offers various terrain files for download at the Storylink Radio Mall annex building...
including flat land .raw's set to either 0m or 20m height, and in all sizes 1x1 thru 8x8.

(sorry long time since replying to this thread... power was out and stuff)
These users thanked the author Shandon Loring for the post (total 2):
Graham MillsBrendan Shoreland