the material texture error bug is real in Naboo

Ask questions about creating worlds, using worlds, etc.
Mike Lorrey

Re: the material texture error bug is real in Naboo

Post by Mike Lorrey »

ok a second object also has the bug.
The "ottoman" style object in this set is displaying the texture that is on material 6 on material 7, which is slightly different from the bug for the other object, that switched material 7 to the texture AND color on material 5.
Also: this bug does not appear to require a cache clearing, if you wait long enough. I logged out of Kitely at about 2am grid time and logged in at 11 am, and the bug appeared on both objects. The only reason I had not noticed this bug on the second object is I had not installed it in Naboo. I have not cleared my caches in the past day. I installed these objects last night in another area of Naboo, where this image was taken.
I am going to try to save these objects as collada files and fix them in blender, to see if this fixes the problem.
second mesh texture bug.png
second mesh texture bug.png (453.44 KiB) Viewed 5441 times
Tess Juel

Post by Tess Juel »

Mike Lorrey wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:36 pm
The "ottoman" style object in this set is displaying the texture that is on material 6 on material 7, which is slightly different from the bug for the other object, that switched material 7 to the texture AND color on material 5.
Also: this bug does not appear to require a cache clearing, if you wait long enough.
Assuming you're counting faces from 0 to 7, that's the bug I had on a different grid a few years ago.
I am going to try to save these objects as collada files and fix them in blender, to see if this fixes the problem.
If my theory is right, there's no need to fix anything in Blender. Just download the file and reupload it. That should fix it.

Unfortunately, if it works, it means every single eight face mesh - and possibly those with fewer faces too - that was uploaded to opensim before 2021 is vulnerable to this bug.
Last edited by Tess Juel on Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Tess Juel for the post:
Ilan Tochner
Mike Lorrey

Post by Mike Lorrey »

Tess Juel wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:56 pm
Mike Lorrey wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:36 pm
Also: this bug does not appear to require a cache clearing, if you wait long enough.
Assuming you're co0unting faces from 0 to 7, that's the bug I had on a different grid a few years ago.
If my theory is right, there's no need to fix anything in Blender. Just download the file and reupload it. That should fix it.

Unfortunately, if it works, it means every single eight face mesh - and possibly those with fewer faces too - that was uploaded to opensim before 2021 is vulnerable to this bug.
I agree. Saved all three models of seat as a group in a collada file, after correcting material 7 on the two buggy ones to the right texture. In blender they looked fine and there was no bugginess or things like extra materials (something I was concerned might exist) but if they were there, the export process from Opensim, merging the materials into the same UV Map, would have cleared those out. I exported the three objects separately from blender and uploaded them as fresh files. There was no bug in the uploaded objects.
Ironically people who saw copies of the original objects rezzed at the Naboo Spaceport while I was setting up for The Mandalorian yesterday, saw the wrong textures on them AFTER I had fixed them, but they had not seen those objects before, so they could not have been in their caches.

So there is a strong possibility that other people will find content they've uploaded from that period to be buggy. If I come across any other similar bugs on more recent content I will post about it.

I want to express my appreciation to everyone working on this. I am just sad i had to make a stink about it for people to look into it. All bugs should be treated seriously, as should all users when they report bug and should be investigated as such, not just dismissed with casual excuses.
These users thanked the author Mike Lorrey for the post:
Tess Juel