the material texture error bug is real in Naboo

Ask questions about creating worlds, using worlds, etc.
Mike Lorrey

the material texture error bug is real in Naboo

Post by Mike Lorrey »

mesh material texture errors.png
mesh material texture errors.png (390.61 KiB) Viewed 18112 times
Once again, I am seeing material texture bugs on content that has been present in Naboo for a few years. In the attached image, the sides of the seats around the Dejarik table are supposed to have a metal hull texture like "right" points to, but some of the seats are displaying a speaker grill texture on that material that is normally displayed on the speaker material on the same objects. I have pointed this out to you a month or two ago and you claimed it was a viewer bug, but I've cleared my cache several times since then and the texture bug has returned again. This is NOT a viewer problem, since caches have been cleared. This is a bug with your asset server which is displaying the wrong textures on the wrong materials. You need to stop making excuses and deflecting blame and start taking responsibility to fix this real bug.
Also, you need to increase the maximum image size for posts to this forum, I cannot display the image here because of your postage stamp sized image limits....
Last edited by Mike Lorrey on Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ilan Tochner

Re: the material texture error bug is real in Naboo

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Mike, assets have UUIDs and the server retrieves them using those UUIDs. The only way a rezzed object can get different textures from the server is if it changed to use different textures. If the texture UUIDs stay the same then the server will send viewers the same assets.

You're using an old version of Firestorm (6.4.21.64531) when the latest official version is 6.6.3.67470. Many bug fixes have been included in the versions that have been released since the version you're using came out. I suggest you start using the latest Firestorm version instead of continuing to use a version with many known bugs that have already been fixed in newer available versions.

After you upgrade your viewer, open Firestorm > Viewer > Preferences > Network & Files > Directories and click both the Clear Cache and Clear Inventory Cache buttons, then restart your viewer and log back into your world.
Mike Lorrey

Post by Mike Lorrey »

I have upgraded firestorm to the latest version, cleared my cache, and WALLA, the material texture bug remains. FIX IT
ALSO: I had to shrink this image down to 500x400-some-odd pixels to get it to load up...
material texture bug remains_001.png
material texture bug remains_001.png (437.87 KiB) Viewed 18108 times
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Mike, if you wish I can restore your world from a daily backup to a time before these changes appeared. I have no other way to "fix it" as there is no problem with our assets system that could cause an asset UUID mismatch. The most common reason for unexpected changes is people inadvertently having things they didn't intend selected when they made changes to other things. If what you're looking at is group owned then such changes may have been done by someone else in that group.
Mike Lorrey

Post by Mike Lorrey »

Ilan Tochner wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:13 pm
Mike, if you wish I can restore your world from a daily backup to a time before these changes appeared. I have no other way to "fix it" as there is no problem with our assets system that could cause an asset UUID mismatch. The most common reason for unexpected changes is people inadvertently having things they didn't intend selected when they made changes to other things. If what you're looking at is group owned then such changes may have been done by someone else in that group.
This is an asset system problem. You seem to be completely tone deaf. It is no wonder you are losing customers, always blaming and gaslighting them like this. You are so convinced of the superiority of your asset system you cannot imagine the possibility that your asset system might be at fault. How many times do I have to be right before you actually admit it?
Accusing ME of being sloppy with applying textures to my meshes, when you KNOW that I upload my meshes from blender with the textures on them I intend for them to have, so there is no error FROM THE START. As I have proven multiple times, your system is deficient esp with regard to how it handles textures applied to materials, its handling of default textures, etc.
Mike Lorrey

Post by Mike Lorrey »

Ilan Tochner wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:13 pm
I just went and right clicked on the mesh to take a copy so I could rez it in another region. When I clicked it, the mesh snapped to the correct texture immediately. Ergo, this is not a viewer problem, or a region problem, but an asset problem. I have fixed this problem multiple times in the past several months in this region and this texture bug keeps showing up. Its nothing to do with the region, and rolling it back months in time wont' fix it since the problem has been here for months after multiple fixes. This IS AN ASSET PROBLEM, and you need to admit it, or you are going to lose more customers to your arrogance.
Tess Juel

Post by Tess Juel »

Mike Lorrey wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:01 pm
I just went and right clicked on the mesh to take a copy so I could rez it in another region. When I clicked it, the mesh snapped to the correct texture immediately.
If it snapped to the correct texture immediately, it must be a client side issue. If it was server side, it would take a short but noticeable amount of time to download the correct texture for the surface.
These users thanked the author Tess Juel for the post:
Ilan Tochner
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Mike, as Tess correctly stated, if you clicked the object and it immediately displayed the correct texture on the object then:

1) The server had already sent the viewer the correct information regarding what texture UUID should be displayed on that object.

2) The server had already sent the viewer the correct texture when the viewer had previously asked the server to download the texture that has that UUID.

3) The viewer did not use the information that it already got from the server to display the correct texture and only did so when you clicked on the object.

You have a habit of blaming us for every issue you encounter but, like in previous times, you encountered a viewer or networking problem and quickly jumped to blame our system for it. And, like the previous times you complained, you refuse to accept that fact and instead decide to attack us for it. Blaming us won't help you overcome the issues you've encountered when our system isn't what caused them, regardless of how many insults you throw at us.
Mike Lorrey

Post by Mike Lorrey »

Tess Juel wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:28 pm
Mike Lorrey wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:01 pm
I just went and right clicked on the mesh to take a copy so I could rez it in another region. When I clicked it, the mesh snapped to the correct texture immediately.
If it snapped to the correct texture immediately, it must be a client side issue. If it was server side, it would take a short but noticeable amount of time to download the correct texture for the surface.
a) the correct texture was already on another material of the neighboring mesh, so you are wrong. It took no time to download it cause it already had it
b) since this was a fresh viewer install and caches were cleared, there is no place that this wrong texture could have been
Mike Lorrey

Post by Mike Lorrey »

Ilan Tochner wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:32 pm
Mike, as Tess correctly stated, if you clicked the object and it immediately displayed the correct texture on the object then:

1) The server had already sent the viewer the correct information regarding what texture UUID should be displayed on that object.

2) The server had already sent the viewer the correct texture when the viewer had previously asked the server to download the texture that has that UUID.

3) The viewer did not use the information that it already got from the server to display the correct texture and only did so when you clicked on the object.

You have a habit of blaming us for every issue you encounter but, like in previous times, you encountered a viewer or networking problem and quickly jumped to blame our system for it. And, like the previous times you complained, you refuse to accept that fact and instead decide to attack us for it. Blaming us won't help you overcome the issues you've encountered when our system isn't what caused them, regardless of how many insults you throw at us.
1) As I said, Tess did not correctly state it, because the correct texture was on a neighboring mesh, so it took no time to download it since the viewer already had it from the neighboring mesh.
2) the viewer had the texture because it was the same texture on a neighboring mesh, so it didn't need to redownload it.
3) the mesh was given the WRONG texture when I arrived in sim with a FRESH viewer install and a CLEARD CACHE as you requested, so you have to explain how that wrong texture wound up on that material ON MY COMPUTER BEFORE IT ARRIVED THERE. You cannot without invoking quantum entanglement time travel bs.

And no, I don't have a habit of blaming you, I have a habit of RIGHTLY pointing out bugs in your system, which you arrogantly claim do not exist until I go through every possible option, and then you actually talk to Oren and he finds the real bug. I blame you for being arrogant and rude and gaslighting your customers for your own systems bugs. This is why you are losing customers. If you want to stop losing customers ( would imagine that at least half the grids on the hypergrid exist because they are former customers of yours that you have torqued off at one time or another), I suggest you get more humble and actually find out what the bug is, because I did everything you asked to prove that it was the viewer and the bug still exists, so you are clearly WRONG because the troubleshooting you recommended only proved that its NOT the viewer. Get over yourself, get humble, and FIX IT.