Exporting World

Ask questions about creating worlds, using worlds, etc.
Constance Peregrine

Exporting World

Post by Constance Peregrine »

Well, this was interesting and somewhat annoying.

I exported the oar from kitely that i had made a few changes to for kitely use only just for a backup.

This was an imported oar of 126 mbs from my metropolis region and it exported as a 58.8 mb oar.

I know i read about the export perms thing here but this was my oar i created.

Of course many items are collected from all over the metaverse that are given freely but I assumed [incorrectly it seems] that it would all be easily exported to save when i made changes for kitely only.

So i guess this is just a comment/question, I guess I will need to change all the perms to FP to insure i can get it all saved from kitely.
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Ilan Tochner

Re: Exporting World

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Minethere,

Even when you export a world which you just created from an OAR file with full permissions you'll likely get a smaller OAR file size because our systems merges multiple copies of the same asset to save space and enable worlds to load faster. For example, OAR files created outside of Kitely can store the same texture under many different names while OAR files created by Kitely will store this texture only once.

Content which you upload into Kitely will almost always be exportable by you because if you got it from other people they would have most likely made it both Copy and Transfer (which would mark it as exportable in Kitely). Content which you created inside Kitely will have you listed as its creator in the OAR file so you would be labeled as its creator when you upload it into Kitely (and you can always export things which you created).

For details on how this works see: http://www.kitely.com/virtual-world-new ... rmissions/
Constance Peregrine

Ilan Tochner wrote:Hi Minethere,

Even when you export a world which you just created from an OAR file with full permissions you'll likely get a smaller OAR file size because our systems merges multiple copies of the same asset to save space and enable worlds to load faster. For example, OAR files created outside of Kitely can store the same texture under many different names while OAR files created by Kitely will store this texture only once.

Content which you upload into Kitely will almost always be exportable by you because if you got it from other people they would have most likely made it both Copy and Transfer (which would mark it as exportable in Kitely). Content which you created inside Kitely will have you listed as its creator in the OAR file so you would be labeled as its creator when you upload it into Kitely (and you can always export things which you created).

For details on how this works see: http://www.kitely.com/virtual-world-new ... rmissions/
ok..did a bit of reading on this, and finally got around to installing my own soas-))

I wanted to properly confirm this all myself [my regions are hosted by someone else in metropolis and osgrid so i have to ask when i want my oars]...now i can do them myself

so the oar was missing several items which is interesting...so i learned something valuable here before i got to far committed to my kitely region.

i can fix that and do things the way i want in the future...ty for directing me to the perms issues link-))

apparently you use the -perm switch for oars...i wonder why other closed grids do not offer this, they could even charge for it...seems easy enough to do

oh well, sets kitely above the rest, which is all good-)) ty

Ephemeral wanderer...
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Thank you Minethere :-)

Kitely has contributed a lot of code that makes up the current OpenSim OAR implementation. Specifically, we are the ones that developed the --perm and --all OAR options and contributed that functionality to OpenSim so all OpenSim grids and standalones will be able use it. I guess most closed grids want to lock content so people will be less inclined to go somewhere else with content they have already paid for. We think content creators should be able to set permissions in a way that their clients can export what they buy from them (it's an option for the content creator not something we force content creators to do).
Constance Peregrine

Ilan Tochner wrote:Thank you Minethere :-)

Kitely has contributed a lot of code that makes up the current OpenSim OAR implementation. Specifically, we are the ones that developed the --perm and --all OAR options and contributed that functionality to OpenSim so all OpenSim grids and standalones will be able use it. I guess most closed grids want to lock content so people will be less inclined to go somewhere else with content they have already paid for. We think content creators should be able to set permissions in a way that their clients can export what they buy from them (it's an option for the content creator not something we force content creators to do).
Which is one reason i opened this new thread, as I think your business model in this regard is quite exceptional. Gives me a place to send ppl to read it also-))

Yes, those closed grids do, imo, and I think it will be their eventual downfall...that mindset causes all sorts of issues in all sorts of way that are not progressive, and in fact, regressive.

So, I learned some things on how this works here, and that is always a good thing-)) ty

Ephemeral wanderer...
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Great, let us know if you have any further questions :-)