Unknown avatar for OAR import after upgrade to 0.7.6

Ask questions about creating worlds, using worlds, etc.
Zuza Ritt

Unknown avatar for OAR import after upgrade to 0.7.6

Post by Zuza Ritt »

Just thinking about consequences of this new improved function after upgrade:

"When you load an OAR that came from another grid, any unknown avatars are changed to your avatar."

First, it means it changes all user named "Unknown Avatar" in previous grid? Probably not, probably it means every names of owner and author, who are not registered with same name in Kitely, are changed for name of importer of OAR, right?
So, there are possible consequences, based on that.

• There is plenty of stolen things in some grids, often the uploaders was deleted, so the author is "Unknown Avatar." So if you import it in OAR to Kitely, there will not be the "Unknown Avatar" as a creator? Or the "first" uploader (the thief). There will be you. It means more responsibility for everybody to importing anything from other grids. You can be marked as thief, if it was stolen and you import it into Kitely with your name on it as author.

• Somebody have made an OAR, let them copy for free, and only intended "credit" is the name of avatar as author...it is not possible now in Kitely? Universal Campus for instance...
• Further... if I make an OAR, I want to sell it, and somebody import it into Kitely, he or she will be the author of all things. So all the intended permissions of genuine author are gone? (Modify means modify, so modifing into fullperm and free-to-copy is just modifying.) Nobody knows, who created it. Even I cannot say, if this person bought it from me or not. If I did not publish it in any grid, or in Kitely, that first importing person became an "official" author, based on the date, when the object was "published" first time in Kitely/anywhere.
• More further.. if any other grid than Kitely will make the same thing, changing every unknown name of author and/or owner to name of importer. It means all the non-fullperm but (Kitely) Export things at Kitely Market are now imported to another grid with name of owner as author. Changing their perms to full-perm is became legal, because modify means modify.

Or the quoted sentence from blog is intended only for owners, not for authors? Anyway...
• If I register Simona Stick in Kitely, I will become (at least) owner of plenty of things in Kitely? :)

Or am I completely wrong with this function? It is based on my experiences, some permissions means the name of author is still same even after import...
And I am not complaining for anything, just thinking... mostly theoretically. I got some idea for my products and OARs, so I would like to be sure, how exactly it works, and could work...
I live among the trees. You are invited too:) Visit 21strom.
My Kitely Market. 21strom webpage.
Amiryu Hosoi

Re: Unknown avatar for OAR import after upgrade to 0.7.6

Post by Amiryu Hosoi »

Hey Zuza,

Yes, the same sentence "When you load an OAR that came from another grid, any unknown avatars are changed to your avatar." is worrying me a lot. I am happy you brought up this topic.

Ami
Now delivering to hypergrid http://www.kitely.com/market?store=2570982
Johnny Magic

Post by Johnny Magic »

I am hoping it is the former. i.e. if you are uploading as owner, but with a different name, the name will change to your Kitely name. if any unknown name is automatically changed, that would create a lot of problems.
Chloe Stardust

Post by Chloe Stardust »

Zuza Ritt wrote:Just thinking about consequences of this new improved function after upgrade:

"When you load an OAR that came from another grid, any unknown avatars are changed to your avatar."

First, it means it changes all user named "Unknown Avatar" in previous grid? Probably not, probably it means every names of owner and author, who are not registered with same name in Kitely, are changed for name of importer of OAR, right?
So, there are possible consequences, based on that.

• There is plenty of stolen things in some grids, often the uploaders was deleted, so the author is "Unknown Avatar." So if you import it in OAR to Kitely, there will not be the "Unknown Avatar" as a creator? Or the "first" uploader (the thief). There will be you. It means more responsibility for everybody to importing anything from other grids. You can be marked as thief, if it was stolen and you import it into Kitely with your name on it as author.

• Somebody have made an OAR, let them copy for free, and only intended "credit" is the name of avatar as author...it is not possible now in Kitely? Universal Campus for instance...
• Further... if I make an OAR, I want to sell it, and somebody import it into Kitely, he or she will be the author of all things. So all the intended permissions of genuine author are gone? (Modify means modify, so modifing into fullperm and free-to-copy is just modifying.) Nobody knows, who created it. Even I cannot say, if this person bought it from me or not. If I did not publish it in any grid, or in Kitely, that first importing person became an "official" author, based on the date, when the object was "published" first time in Kitely/anywhere.
• More further.. if any other grid than Kitely will make the same thing, changing every unknown name of author and/or owner to name of importer. It means all the non-fullperm but (Kitely) Export things at Kitely Market are now imported to another grid with name of owner as author. Changing their perms to full-perm is became legal, because modify means modify.

Or the quoted sentence from blog is intended only for owners, not for authors? Anyway...
• If I register Simona Stick in Kitely, I will become (at least) owner of plenty of things in Kitely? :)

Or am I completely wrong with this function? It is based on my experiences, some permissions means the name of author is still same even after import...
And I am not complaining for anything, just thinking... mostly theoretically. I got some idea for my products and OARs, so I would like to be sure, how exactly it works, and could work...

Non of this seems like new news becouse opensim has been on 7.6 release that allows this for over a year :o
yea unsure really but no big deal right :P
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

OAR files that are created with the "--home" option contain the creator name information from the grid in which the OAR file was created. OAR files that were created without this option just contain a UUID which is meaningless outside that grid and therefore usually resulted in owner and creator information showing as "Unknown User" when the content was nested more than two levels deep. Standard OpenSim replaces this "Unknown User" with the UUID of the avatar uploading the OAR file as long as the content was no more than two levels deep. see: http://opensimulator.org/wiki/OpenSim_Archives

The creator name assignment behavior in Kitely is the same behavior you have in standard OpenSim. The difference is that after this upgrade content that is nested more than two levels deep is also assigned the uploading avatar as the owner (and creator in case the OAR file doesn't include creator name) instead of staying as the information defined in the OAR file (i.e. an unknown UUID = "Unknown User") which is what you currently get in OpenSim 0.7.6 until you apply our patches (which we'll be contributed to OpenSim).

Using OAR files which you didn't create is a risky business IP wise. Kitely always uses the "--home" option when exporting worlds but many people forget to use this feature when doing so manually in other places so the creator information is lost and OpenSim will replace it with the identity of whomever uploads that OAR file. Again, this is standard OpenSim behavior - it isn't a Kitely-specific issue. As a side note, if you're creating on sim-on-a-stick in order to upload into Kitely and sell in Kitely Market then you don't want to use the "--home" option as that would leave your SOAS avatar as the creator and you therefore won't be able to list the products in Kitely Market as your own.

I highly recommend people don't use OAR files they haven't created and know where all the content came from. I also suggest people make sure to use the "--home" option when creating OAR files outside Kitely. As another side note, the Linda Kellie OAR files that people are sharing on the Internet were created without the "--home" option which is why "Linda Kellie" isn't shown as the creator.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 3):
Graham MillsZuza RittRikku Cosplay
Zuza Ritt

Post by Zuza Ritt »

Ilan, thank you very much for your answer. I have never found so detailed explanation of --home switch before. I hope it will clear everybody's doubts.

So the changes of avatar names mentioned in blog post are still related just to OARs made without --home switch, same as standard OpenSim.
For OARs made with --home switch is behavior still same as in standard OpenSim.
Kitely improvement is related to OARs made without --home switch and it works even for third and subsequent levels.

Now the blog explanation makes sense and it seems to be coherent for me.
These users thanked the author Zuza Ritt for the post:
Graham Mills
I live among the trees. You are invited too:) Visit 21strom.
My Kitely Market. 21strom webpage.