Ask questions about using viewers to enter worlds, and problems with viewers
Baroun Tardis

Firestorm stuck on initiailizing texture cache

Post by Baroun Tardis »

Worked great for weeks
Much fun
And then, suddenly... it just hangs on texture cache

Did a complete uninstall and re-install... still does it

Installed Singularity, it connects right up, so it's not a network thing. Would continue using Sinuglarity, but sound doesn't work. Sigh.

Installed Alchemy, but the new version is only SL, not open sim.

Installed Dayturn, but windows version crashes immediately on start up

Went back, uninstalled and reinstalled Firestorm again. Phoenix-FirestormOS-Releasex64-6-6-14-69596_Setup

Still crashes on texture cache init... which since I've never signed in, makes me confused

Only thing to change is Windows downloaded virus updates for Defender. Turned off Defender real time virus, tried again. Still no joy.

Anyone have any ideas?
These users thanked the author Baroun Tardis for the post:
Ilan Tochner
Ilan Tochner

Re: Firestorm stuck on initiailizing texture cache

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Baroun,

Uninstalling Firestorm doesn't delete all its files and those files may be causing you problems. I suggest you manually delete them from your computer as explained here: https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/fs_cache_clear
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 4):
Baroun TardisGraham MillsChris NamasteSnoots Dwagon
Baroun Tardis

Post by Baroun Tardis »

One of the things I really like about Kitely is that the staff will help you on just about anything...
... and they know how to fix things.

Thank you!
These users thanked the author Baroun Tardis for the post (total 3):
Graham MillsChris NamasteIlan Tochner
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

SceneGate is another alternative though it doesn't do animesh iirc. http://infinitemetaverse.com/news-and-e ... nd-windows
Gusher Castaignede

Post by Gusher Castaignede »

Had similiar issue but with mesh uploads, wouldn't upload..
something about havok physics... I did a manual clean install
by hand and a 3rd party uninstaller that cleans all traces in
registry as well.... after that worked fine...

The uninstaller I use because it's cheap one time
price with free lifetime updates...
https://crystalidea.com/uninstall-tool
These users thanked the author Gusher Castaignede for the post:
Ilan Tochner
"lnteractivity, Variety, Ease of Use"
Visit my store at Country Manor
Snoots Dwagon

Post by Snoots Dwagon »

A major grid owner told me that 80% of the problems his customers report are caused by Firestorm.

I don't mean to put down Firestorm, but they really aren't very supportive of the Opensim community. Last time I checked they have ONE dev that's dedicated to Opensim (bless her).

The Firestorm website directly tells people to only clear cache in case of an emergency. I call pudu on that one. In almost every instance in which I've had a major performance problem, clearing the Firstorm cache cleared it right up.

On occasion I've had to do a clean install, and as Ilan has pointed out that requires going into Windows and deleting subdirectories. How can a viewer become so corrupted that it has to be completely removed from a system down to core files? That's just sad.

Don't get me wrong; I'm glad there's an alternative to Linden Lab's viewer, because it's just very stupidly designed. But I can't use Singularity, so Firestorm is my only viable option. I just with the Firestorm team would take Opensim more seriously... because Opensim is literally larger than Second Life, in just about every way. (It's just that it's all spread out over thousands of grids and we rarely see the congregated masses like we see on SL.)

My dwagony advice: If you're having performance problems, despite what the FS team states: first try clearing both regular and inventory cache. That quite often solves problems. If that doesn't do it, perform a complete clean reinstall... which means removing ALL Firestorm files and directories from your system... then go through the extreme hassle of setting up all your viewer defaults again (because it could be defective default settings that are causing the problem).
~~~~~~~
I'm a dwagon in real life too. (Ask my sister, who totally agrees.)

~~~~~~~