Ask questions about using viewers to enter worlds, and problems with viewers
Miriam Zhivago

Re: Firestorm Beta Clean Install A Success for Mac

Post by Miriam Zhivago »

k…going to have a late dinner
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

Miriam Zhivago wrote:Logging out of Firestorm and on with Imprudence to see the difference. Upon starting Imprudence it shows the viewer shows a message that my computer has a graphics card it can not identify, and that the Day Cycle is missing a file A-9pm. That happened on another viewer as well. I think Meerkat. Firestorm works great with the graphics. It is only the lag. Other viewers = no lag, but graphics problems. :P Don't know if that makes any sense.
I get the missing file message too when using Imprudence on my MacBook Pro -- it's one of the LightShare settings.

Because Imprudence couldn't identify the graphics card, it probably set the graphics to the lowest setting. Hence the horrible looking ocean.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Dot Matrix wrote:Because Imprudence couldn't identify the graphics card, it probably set the graphics to the lowest setting. Hence the horrible looking ocean.
That would also explain the much higher frame rate. If graphics are set lower then there are a lot less calculations to do for rendering each frame, hence higher frame rates.

Miriam, my takeaway from this is that your graphics card could probably use an upgrade - you're not getting good frame rates with it when it has objects in view that need to be rendered. Updating your graphics card drivers may also help a bit. Another thing you can do is decrease your graphics settings in Firestorm which will reduce the amount of calculations that are done per frame thus increasing the frame rate you'll get.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Miriam Zhivago
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

Re upgrading graphics card and/or drivers: this might not be possible.

What sort of a Mac are you using, Miriam? When did it come out?
These users thanked the author Dot Matrix for the post:
Miriam Zhivago
Miriam Zhivago

Post by Miriam Zhivago »

Hi Dot, Ilan, I'm using a Mac Book Pro (Mac OS X 10.8.5) Just bought it months ago. Guess I need to toggle the graphics settings in both Imprudence & Firestorm. I doubt there is an upgrade this soon, Ilan, but I can check. Thanks bunches to you both. :)
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

Which sort of graphics does the MacBook Pro have? Some of them have just integrated graphics, while others have both integrated graphics and a graphics card.