A Plea to Firestorm from OpenSim

Ask questions about using viewers to enter worlds, and problems with viewers
Bladyblue Bommerang

A Plea to Firestorm from OpenSim

Post by Bladyblue Bommerang »

I have been going crazy trying to explain to Second Lifers that their version of Firestorm isn't that easy to use in OpenSim. They have to install an older version to access Kitely. They aren't really happy with that. It's easier to get them to install a new viewer than to mess with their precious Firestorm.

I placed a plea on SLUniverse ( http://www.sluniverse.com/php/vb/altern ... ost1721340)asking Firestorm Developers to make a new OpenSim viewer and name it differently so people can distinguish which viewer they are using. Firestorm is one of the best viewers to use because it supports mesh and is very stable.

Here is what I wrote on SLU:
"I'm no techie, but Firestorm is useful to opensim worlds like Kitely because it supports mesh. The issue is that the newest versions of Firestorm do not easily support plug-ins for other worlds. And most novices don't know how to go get an older version of Firestorm and manually install the plug-in.

Please create a viewer that has the directory for opensim in it and name it slightly differently than Firestorm. Please use a new icon for the opensim version of your viewer(so people don't get confused as to which viewer they need to use).

Thank you."

Please take some time to add your thoughts to that thread over at SLUniverse. If the Firestorm Developers see people really want this product, they may get it to us.
http://www.sluniverse.com/php/vb/altern ... ost1721340

I also added this post to the GooglePlus Group Board OpenSim: https://plus.google.com/u/0/10424369342 ... HWsAf1bekg
These users thanked the author Bladyblue Bommerang for the post:
Ilan Tochner
Ilan Tochner

Re: A Plea to Firestorm from OpenSim

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Thank you Blady,

If they installed Firestorm for OpenSim in a different directory than Firestorm for SL we'll be able to detect which version of Firestorm the user has and either use the version they have or give them a link to download the OpenSim version of Firestorm instead (without them needing to change anything with their already installed SL version of Firestorm).
Bladyblue Bommerang

UPDATE: One of the coders from Firestorm quickly responded to the thread:

Cinder Roxley:
Not sure what you mean by 'plug-in'. If you can get me more information about it, I'll see what I can do. We definitely want to support Kitely to the best of our ability.

Your second request is in the works already as well. :)
Great news!
These users thanked the author Bladyblue Bommerang for the post:
Marstol Nitely
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Thank you for the update Blady.

I suggest that anyone who wants to help convince the Firestorm developers to spend more time making sure their viewer works better with OpenSim go to the SLUniverse thread Blady opened and express their support of the idea. The Firestrom team needs to see this is an issue that many people care about.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Bladyblue Bommerang
Ohn Lang

Post by Ohn Lang »

" ... We definitely want to support Kitely to the best of our ability. ..."

Sounds like they are already kindly inclined when it comes to Kitely :D
These users thanked the author Ohn Lang for the post:
Bladyblue Bommerang
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

I hope that inclination quickly turns into a new viewer version for OpenSim that installs in a different directory. We're seeing too many people suffering from having a Firestorm version that no longer supports OpenSim (this has only become an issue once LL forced the Firestorm team to create two versions and make the SL one incompatible with OpenSim).
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Bladyblue Bommerang
Ohn Lang

Post by Ohn Lang »

;)
I've not had that problem, as i rarely login to SL anymore.
These users thanked the author Ohn Lang for the post:
Ilan Tochner
Adagio Greenwood

Post by Adagio Greenwood »

Gee, I just use the open-sim Firestorm for Kitely and SL and everywhere else...........
Bladyblue Bommerang

Noobs that start their lives in Second Life don't know anything about two versions of Firestorm. When I tell them to drop by and they can't log in - that's a deal-breaker.
Adagio Greenwood

Post by Adagio Greenwood »

Yeah, that's true; I have had to walk friends through the login process to get them to Kitely and it is laborious. Their eyes kinda glaze over when I mention getting a different viewer, lol. I have been thinking a lot about the fact that it is the experienced virtual world citizen who is coming to Kitely now cuz they can cope with the process but we will need the less experienced citizens to come here too if Kitely is to grow beyond a small population.

Adagio
These users thanked the author Adagio Greenwood for the post:
Bladyblue Bommerang