Problem deleting items from my inventory

Ask questions about using viewers to enter worlds, and problems with viewers
Ilan Tochner

Re: Problem deleting items from my inventory

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Adagio,

UUID is an acronym for Universally Unique Identifier. Each item has its own UUID which is used by the system to differentiate it from other items. If all copies of an item had the same UUID then you couldn't delete one copy without deleting the others (the system would have no way to distinguish which was the copy you wished to delete).

UUIDs should be displayed in this format: xxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx (the x's are replaced with alphanumeric values but the dashes are placed in the same positions and the string is exactly this length).

Once we have the items' UUIDs we can try to see what is preventing them from being deleted.
Adagio Greenwood

Post by Adagio Greenwood »

Just like Ohn noticed, the function to get an object's UUID by right clicking it in inventory is disabled. I can still do that for textures and can get avatar keys from profiles but nothing else.

Thanks for the explanation, Ilan; dunno why it never occurred to me that the UUID would really have to be unique, even for identical objects. :)

Adagio
Oren Hurvitz

Post by Oren Hurvitz »

Hi Adagio,

I just checked your inventory on the server, and at this time you have only one copy of the object "rotating moon ride". It's in the folder Objects > Toys & Bits. If you see another copy now then the problem is in the viewer. In that case, continue to the next paragraph...

Previously in this thread it was suggested that you clear the viewer cache. That was good advice, but unfortunately using the built-in command to clear the cache only clears the assets cache, and the problem is in the inventory. The only way I know of to clear the inventory cache is by deleting a few files on the hard disk. For example, in Firestorm on Windows the inventory cache is stored in this directory:

Code: Select all

C:\Users\Oren Hurvitz\AppData\Local\Firestorm
(Substitute your own name, of course).
Within this directory, delete all the files that end with ".inv.gz". (Make sure to close the viewer first.) For example:

Code: Select all

1b16c4cc-edb2-4b15-aa8a-9c33276e86a8.inv.gz
11111111-1111-0000-0000-000100bba000.inv.gz
(In case you're wondering: each of these files is the inventory of one user. The filename is the UUID of the user's avatar.)

The next time you start the viewer it will reload the inventory from scratch from the server.

Hope this helps!
Oren
Adagio Greenwood

Post by Adagio Greenwood »

Thanks, Oren! I will give it a try tonight when I am home. :D

Adagio