Friendship offers when offline

Ask questions about using viewers to enter worlds, and problems with viewers
Leaf Illusion

Friendship offers when offline

Post by Leaf Illusion »

I've had a couple of people send me friendship requests. I've accepted both, and they then immediately show up on my friends list. These new friends were off line at the time I accepted the requests. The next time I log back on they are no longer on my friend list, and the previously confirmed friendship requests are back and showing as "unread" in my IM window. Does someone need to be logged in to Kitely for me to be able to accept a friendship offer from them?
Ilan Tochner

Re: Friendship offers when offline

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Leaf,

This is an existing OpenSim bug that we've already tried to track down in the past. Last time we couldn't get enough data to trace the problem so we added additional logging capabilities to provide us more information to investigate this issue if it recurs. Can you please look at your Account History page, and let me know:

1) The time when you accepted the friend request.
2) The time when it didn't show up.
3) What world you were in when you accepted the friend request.
4) Wheat world you were in when it didn't show up.
5) The full avatar names of the people's whose friend requests you accepted.

If you prefer, you can send me this info in a private forums message.
Leaf Illusion

Post by Leaf Illusion »

Just for others reading this, a suggestion from Ilan to try accepting the off-line friendship offer at a low lag location such as the Kitely Sandbox or the Welcome Center does seem to help. I've was able to successfully accept the friendship requests while at the Sandbox, it did take a couple of tries but worked. So it is worth a try if you are having trouble with this issue.
These users thanked the author Leaf Illusion for the post (total 2):
Dot MatrixGraham Mills
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

I'd recommend doing so in the Kitely Welcome Center as it's highly optimized and always on (which means it is a lot less likely you will enter it while it is busy completing the world startup process).

Another alternative is to wait a couple of minutes after you login to a world before accepting pending friend requests. This will give the world enough time to complete the startup process and will give your viewer enough time to complete the teleport / login process. Once both the simulator running the world and your viewer are no longer busy doing other things it is much more likely that they will be able to register the friend request acceptance.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Leaf Illusion
terry strickl
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by terry strickl »

It would thus appear that not only are online friendships 'real friendships', but that ... both individual characteristics and self-concepts as well as offline friendships. ... The Internet offers the opportunity for social interaction on a hitherto unseen ...
asd