Viewer White Screen

Ask questions about using viewers to enter worlds, and problems with viewers
Paiyo DeYew

Viewer White Screen

Post by Paiyo DeYew »

I had to completely reboot my computer and therefore reinstall Firestorm. I updated my graphic driver and all Windows updates. I have tried multiple viewers and versions and all I can see is a white screen.

I am able to use mini-map and it accurately updates as my avatar moves. I am able to teleport between regions and when I log back in, while it is loading the background has updated correctly to the last place visited but as soon as it is loaded I am back to white screen.

I have looked around and can't figure this out. I assume it is a massively easy fix but I sure can't figure it out.

Thanks.

And, it used to work before I rebooted with no hardware changes made since the reboot. My graphics card is NVIDIA GeoForce GTX 285.
Ilan Tochner

Re: Viewer White Screen

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Paiyo,

What graphics card do you have?

Have you tried setting viewer graphics to Low to check if this fixes the problem? If not, do so now then try gradually enabling graphics options until you find which one causes the problem.
Paiyo DeYew

Post by Paiyo DeYew »

Graphics card I formation added in original post. As usual, thanks for the quick reply. I have been working with the preference options but nothing has worked.

I have no idea what has changed since I rebooted. I'll keep looking and will try a reinstall if nothing else works.

Anyone seen this before?
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Another thing worth trying is clearing both the viewer cache and your viewer inventory cache.
Paiyo DeYew

Post by Paiyo DeYew »

Reinstalled, tried the other suggestions, and nothing has worked so far. Every viewer and every version is the same white screen. After the rebooted I reinstalled Adobe, Java, graphics card driver updates, all Windows updates, and Firestorm (and eventually many other viewers) and tried all the adjustments suggested here and other places online. I can't figure it out, it worked fine right before the reboot and now...poof. Appreciate the quick responses but I've been trying to solve this for two days, think its break time for a bit and then I'll look at it tomorrow or the next day and maybe it will magically fix itself.
These users thanked the author Paiyo DeYew for the post:
Constance Peregrine
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Good luck, please let us know if you find the reason.
Paiyo DeYew

Post by Paiyo DeYew »

If there's a "Doh" award, I earned it today.

It wasn't a white screen, it was a HUD attachment that "got big" and covered the viewing area. It turned transparent before I rebooted and forgot about it. I logged in again wanting to see if build options worked and tried to build and kept getting the edit option at which time the HUD moved away and I could see again.

uh, well...oops. Thanks for the quick responses and sorry to have wasted time on something that was way off my guess.
These users thanked the author Paiyo DeYew for the post:
Constance Peregrine
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

No worries, these things can happen to anyone.