FYI Running Firestorm from a USB

Ask questions about using viewers to enter worlds, and problems with viewers
Graham Mills

FYI Running Firestorm from a USB

Post by Graham Mills »

Time was that many viewers could be run without an install and hence from a USB stick. While it may be frowned on it's actually quite important to me as it's the only way I can presently make Firestorm available to students, i.e. copied from the install on my PC to a shared drive, without having to involve support staff in updates, etc. FWIW this currently works with 64-bit Windows Firestorm but not 32-bit for some reason. Don't know about other viewers.
These users thanked the author Graham Mills for the post:
Selby Evans
Graham Mills

Re: FYI Running Firestorm from a USB

Post by Graham Mills »

I should add that we had a few viewer crashes after the first hour of a 2 hour session which I haven't seen previously (most sessions are 1 hour and last year we used Kokua). I suspect it was over-heating as the regions viewed on other PCs were fine and the ambient temperature unhelpfully warm. Obviously this is a local issue and the short-term solution is to aim for a 1 hour time limit.
Jennifer Boyle

Re: FYI Running Firestorm from a USB

Post by Jennifer Boyle »

I have been running viewers from a flash drive for a few years routinely. I use 64 bit Firestorm nearly all the time. I occasionally use the official SL viewer for SL. I have no problems with either. In the past, I have run other viewers from a flash drive, but have not tried recently, simply because I had no reason to use them.
These users thanked the author Jennifer Boyle for the post:
Selby Evans