Viewer for Google Cardboard?

Ask questions about using viewers to enter worlds, and problems with viewers
Angel Feijoo

Viewer for Google Cardboard?

Post by Angel Feijoo »

Can we expect to have a viewer for Google Cardboard, or for other low-cost VR visor, anytime soon?
These users thanked the author Angel Feijoo for the post:
Shandon Loring
Ilan Tochner

Re: Viewer for Google Cardboard?

Post by Ilan Tochner »

I doubt you'll see one that connects to an OpenSim backend anytime soon. Low cost VR visors must rely on mobile devices limited graphics capabilities to render objects and a good VR experience requires rendering at least 75 FPS to avoid creating nausea. This means that the rendered scene has to be very optimized and be rendered with a very efficient rendering engine. User generated content (such as that most often present in OpenSim) is hardly ever optimized enough and the SL viewer-derived OpenSim viewers are far from being optimized as well.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 3):
Shandon LoringAngel FeijooSelby Evans
Angel Feijoo

Post by Angel Feijoo »

Thanks for your comprehensive response, I appreciate.
Angel Feijoo

Post by Angel Feijoo »

Some progress is being made: I just read Korolov: "Success! OpenSim on my phone! ... using [the smartphone] as an external monitor and input device. I still need to have a desktop PC running OpenSim itself." http://www.hypergridbusiness.com/2015/0 ... -my-phone/
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Angel,

That solution is for rendering the scene on your computer and sending the output to a mobile phone. It still requires a powerful computer to get a sufficient frame rate to reduce nausea and the lack of positional tracking will result in a more nauseating solution than one based on Oculus and other solutions that include positional tracking.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 2):
Angel FeijooMike Lorrey
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

The latest version of Lumiya now supports Google Cardboard under Android Marshmallow and later. So far I've only used it in a very prim-intensive world and I do experience a degree of drift on my low-end mobile phone. However, that can be readily cancelled by looking in the opposite direction. I don't know whether the standard draw settings affect the Cardboard display but there may be some optimisation in order there.

My headset and phone don't support the screen buttons (presumably for voice recording, button press and chat), a problem not limited to Lumiya. Chat displays as an overlay. Bear in mind that Lumiya doesn't replicate the entire experience you get with a desktop viewer.

While I'm not sure I'll spend a lot of time in Lumiya until I can figure out some inworld navigation, it certainly does provide a valuable perspective on some of the history builds I've been doing and tremendous kudos to the author Alina Lyvette for her Android skillz.

(updated with link to review https://modemworld.me/2016/11/25/lumiya ... d-support/)
These users thanked the author Graham Mills for the post (total 4):
Ilan TochnerDot MatrixZuza RittSerene Jewell
Serene Jewell

Post by Serene Jewell »

I've been gone for a bit and missed this. This is exciting! I've seen quite a few VR demos and have always wondered what Opensim and SL worlds would look like with a VR viewer. Time to look around for a super cheap Android phone.

This video seems to show a pretty high frame rate, and ability to walk around, etc.
http://www.lumiyaviewer.com/index.php/screenshots/video