Transparency on Mesh

Ask questions about using viewers to enter worlds, and problems with viewers
Araminta Hexx
Been thanked: 0

Transparency on Mesh

Post by Araminta Hexx »

I have an issue where anything mesh that has a transparency doesn't show the texture properly. It's as if I can see the tris of the underneath side of the mesh. Things I do know...

Mesh without transparency seems to work just fine fine.
I have only tested this with mesh hair purchased from Kitely market, and it is not specific to a particular seller.
I use the same viewer (Firestorm) to access SL and can view all mesh without issue.

Has anyone else encountered this? Any ideas why this is all wonky for me?

Example:
WonkyMesh.jpg
Ilan Tochner

Re: Transparency on Mesh

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Araminta,

What version of Firestorm are you using? Have you tried running the latest version?

Have you tried changing the graphics settings in the viewer?
Araminta Hexx

Post by Araminta Hexx »

Ilan Tochner wrote:Hi Araminta,

What version of Firestorm are you using? Have you tried running the latest version?

Have you tried changing the graphics settings in the viewer?
It's been doing this for me for over a year, I just came back to it because I'd really like some mesh hair. :) I'm not on the latest FS, but will try updating. I'm going to try a different viewer to see if I have the same issue, too. I'm not quite sure what settings I would need to change.
Araminta Hexx

Post by Araminta Hexx »

I tried with the OnLook Viewer and get the same results. Firestorm version is 4.7.3.47323, but it's done this for quite some time now. I tried with my Avatar from OSGrid and have the same results, so it's got to be something with my settings. I am on a Mac, so maybe it has something to do with that? What's odd is that I have no issues at all in SL, only in OpenSim.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what settings I should take a look at?
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

In Firestorm Preferences please go to Graphics > Rendering and check whether its Alpha Mask Rendering options are enabled.
Araminta Hexx

Post by Araminta Hexx »

Looks like it may have something to do with transparent .png files used instead of .tga. At least I know I'm not crazy!

http://the-gcg-forum.boards.net/thread/ ... ring-issue

AND

http://opensimulator.org/mantis/view.php?id=7719

From the first link:

"This has been an issue with PNG textures for a very, very long time, and it's an issue with the viewer (and possibly OpenGL) rather than the server. This issue predates OpenSim.

The best workaround is not to use PNG files as textures on any content that doesn't need an alpha layer. I tend to stick to TGA (TARGA) files, and save a 24-bit TGA when I don't want an alpha layer. This prevents the reported issue from occurring. BMP files are another lossless alternative that don't have an alpha channel. JPEG files also avoid the issue, but of course are not lossless."
Last edited by Araminta Hexx on Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Araminta Hexx

Post by Araminta Hexx »

Ilan Tochner wrote:In Firestorm Preferences please go to Graphics > Rendering and check whether its Alpha Mask Rendering options are enabled.
Yes, those settings are selected. Thanks for the suggestions.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

It may be worth trying to contact the relevant merchants and letting them know about this problem. They may be willing to send you a version which will use a different bitmap format to sidestep this issue.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Araminta Hexx