A fix for your UnknownUser UMMAU42 Blues...

Ask questions about using viewers to enter worlds, and problems with viewers
Mike Lorrey

A fix for your UnknownUser UMMAU42 Blues...

Post by Mike Lorrey »

We've all come back from hypergridding carrying the UnknownUser UMMAU42 cooties. Until now the one sure cure has always been to clear your cache and relog. Of course you lose track of ongoing conversations, etc and maybe you are a bit too busy. Fear not, there's another fix for it. If you return to your home grid with the cooties, wait a few minutes, then start going down your friends list, checking the second checkbox, which enables someone to map you, on each entry on your friends list. Start with the ones who are online who are fellow users of your home grid. The URL after their name will start going away if you start doing this about 10-15 minutes after returning. Then the UnknownUsers that are online. Their names will populate. Then the first several who are not online, then GO TO THE BOTTOM of your friends list and start doing it to people from the bottom up. After about 10 or 20 such, suddenly the rest of your friends list will populate and be fixed. YAY!
These users thanked the author Mike Lorrey for the post (total 2):
Ilan TochnerDot Matrix
Mike Lorrey

Re: A fix for your UnknownUser UMMAU42 Blues...

Post by Mike Lorrey »

I have found a quick fix that was pointed out to me as being in the OS Mantis, and it is as follows:

Go to User Preferences > General. you will see the following window. You need to uncheck "Trim 'resident' from legacy names". Normally this is greyed out but IS checked by default. What you have to do is check the other boxes in the two columns there, until the Trim 'resident' choice lights up, whereupon you can uncheck it, then uncheck the other boxes you checked to make it visible. As soon as this happens, all your UnknownUser Ummau42 problems will disappear forever. Enjoy!
Constance Peregrine

Re: A fix for your UnknownUser UMMAU42 Blues...

Post by Constance Peregrine »

Mike Lorrey wrote:I have found a quick fix that was pointed out to me as being in the OS Mantis, and it is as follows:

Go to User Preferences > General. you will see the following window. You need to uncheck "Trim 'resident' from legacy names". Normally this is greyed out but IS checked by default. What you have to do is check the other boxes in the two columns there, until the Trim 'resident' choice lights up, whereupon you can uncheck it, then uncheck the other boxes you checked to make it visible. As soon as this happens, all your UnknownUser Ummau42 problems will disappear forever. Enjoy!
Interesting, testing that as time goes by. Thank you.
These users thanked the author Constance Peregrine for the post:
Mike Lorrey
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...