Firestorm Camera Pics: Aspect Ration Not Saving as Shown

Ask questions about using viewers to enter worlds, and problems with viewers
Sierra Jakob

Firestorm Camera Pics: Aspect Ration Not Saving as Shown

Post by Sierra Jakob »

I'm using Firestorm to take pictures. I'm an old hat at taking inworld pics, but I have never seen this before:
I set the camera to take 1600 x 1200 jpeg pics. I refresh the camera, and it shows me the refreshed borders for the pic--which excludes some of the available screen. All this is as expected.

However, when I save the pic to disk and then go retieve the pic from disk--something strange has happened. What actually saved was the entire screen---it's just squooshed to fit into 1600 x 1200. Eek! So there is a lot more in the picture than I want and everything is distorted.

I'm assuming there is a setting somewhere that will allow me to fix this--but have not yet been able to locate it. Has anyone else encountered this? Can you help me?
Garden Castle - Market & Demo Info: http://www.kitely.com/market/product/42 ... ob-Designs
Ilan Tochner

Re: Firestorm Camera Pics: Aspect Ration Not Saving as Shown

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Sierra,

I believe the viewer settings are for deciding the resolution that will be used when saving the image and not the resolution that will be used when capturing the image (if someone knows differently please correct me). This means that images that are captured in a different resolution from the one you use to save them will be deformed.

I suggest capturing the image at the full resolution and then cropping and, if needed, resizing it to the resolution you want.
Sierra Jakob

Post by Sierra Jakob »

Thank you Ilan. That does indeed seem to be what is happening. However, that never happened to me in SL. The pictures I took there, where in exactly the aspect that the camera "preview" showed me there.

I can certainly do as you suggest. However, that is quite time consuming. If anyone else knows of a more efficient fix, I would be very grateful.
Garden Castle - Market & Demo Info: http://www.kitely.com/market/product/42 ... ob-Designs
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

What viewer (and version) are you using?

If the same viewer behaves differently in SL then this may be a bug that the viewer developers should be made aware of.
Sierra Jakob

Post by Sierra Jakob »

I am using : Firestorm 4.4.0 (33720) Apr 22 2013 02:49:33 (Firestorm-Release) with OpenSimulator support.
I just went and checked how pics do when in SL. It works fine there. It is only here that I am having the problem described.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Sierra,

Your viewer is what captures the image and saves it to the hard drive, this isn't something that is generated server-side . This means that any bug you encounter with that functionality can only be resolved by the people who develop Firestorm. In other words this isn't a bug with Kitely per say but with the viewer you're using to access Ktiely.

That is why I suggested filing a bug report with the viewer developers. People have done so in the past for bugs they found with how viewers behave differently in OpenSim-based grids. The bug you mention sounds like it should be a trivial one to fix for the people who develop the viewer.