Unexpected Computer Shutdowns when using Firestorm

Ask questions about using viewers to enter worlds, and problems with viewers
Annie Teach

Unexpected Computer Shutdowns when using Firestorm

Post by Annie Teach »

Hi there, has anyone had issues with their computer initiating locking and shutdown when using Firestorm? I am using a PC with Windows 10. I have, without incident previously, used this computer with Firestorm for a few years now, but over the last few weeks when using Firestorm, without warning, my computer says it is locking and then goes into sleep mode. It only happens with Firestorm. I can use the laptop for a whole day without issue using other software. Could it be a consequence of a recent Windows 10 update? Any ideas? Anyone else having this issue? Selective overheating??
These users thanked the author Annie Teach for the post (total 2):
Ilan TochnerChris Namaste
Ilan Tochner

Re: Unexpected Computer Shutdowns when using Firestorm

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Annie,

Is it possible your computer is overheating and shutting itself down automatically?

Try reducing your viewer's graphics settings to Low. Does it continue shutting down after you've done that?
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Annie Teach
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

Annie Teach wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:08 am
Hi there, has anyone had issues with their computer initiating locking and shutdown when using Firestorm? I am using a PC with Windows 10. I have, without incident previously, used this computer with Firestorm for a few years now, but over the last few weeks when using Firestorm, without warning, my computer says it is locking and then goes into sleep mode. It only happens with Firestorm. I can use the laptop for a whole day without issue using other software. Could it be a consequence of a recent Windows 10 update? Any ideas? Anyone else having this issue? Selective overheating??
I'm a Firestorm/Win10/laptop user and have not experienced issues lately. I've certainly had heating issues with previous laptops although I don't recall them leading to a managed shutdown. Ilan's suggestion seems apposite. Have you tried other viewers?
These users thanked the author Graham Mills for the post:
Annie Teach
Chris Namaste

Post by Chris Namaste »

hi annie,
i relate to you : pc wind 10 as well,
lately, the fans of my pc (seems random) start to work 'in overdrive' = very loud & hard, when is shut down fs it stops,
when my ava stays 'still' & not create nor upload' it stops after a bit, when i worry toomuch i close fs

my partner irl = programmer, doesnt think its dangerous, 'it might be that fs does someth new/wrong/who knows' is his respons (means he dont know and how to find it, right)
u're the first mentioning this, closing is way worse than fans going in overdrive and still, it seems a bit same problem (imo)
since all is installed 'supergood' & updated etc etc its not 'we doing someth wrong'

the cpu is about 12 percent for fs at that moment,so seems fine (altho not 'tiny' neither)
anyway, i guess im not helping, but if others have same, maybe we need to inform fs?
christa
These users thanked the author Chris Namaste for the post:
Annie Teach
Chris CreationZ url kitely market : https://www.kitely.com/market?store=914 ... &sort=date
Because ultimately we are not the avatars we create. We are not the pictures on the film stock. We are the light that shines through.Jim Carrey
Selby Evans

Post by Selby Evans »

Annie Teach wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:08 am
I have not had this problem, but on my laptop I noticed that my nvidea card was heating up a lot. I added a ventilator underneath it and switched to the intel graphics. That fixed the heating.
These users thanked the author Selby Evans for the post:
Annie Teach
Annie Teach

Post by Annie Teach »

Thanks Everyone, I think it may be an overheating issue. :( I note that the fps are much higher lately (50-70+). :shock: Previously it was very low. It seems to only overheat with Firestorm. Otherwise I have the laptop functioning for 14-16 hours a day. I will see if I can ventilate more as suggested. Thanks for your input everyone! It is so great having a responsive and supportive community. :D
These users thanked the author Annie Teach for the post:
Ilan Tochner