Water Texture...

Ask questions about using viewers to enter worlds, and problems with viewers
Antonio Valenti

Water Texture...

Post by Antonio Valenti »

It's been a number of months since I've been online, and I understand there has been an update.

The one thing I've noticed is that the water texture from a high altitude seems to look worse than it did before. The attached sample is from 76 meters high.

Am I right, or is it that I just don't remember?
Alex
Attachments
76 meters.png
76 meters.png (185.46 KiB) Viewed 2884 times
These users thanked the author Antonio Valenti for the post:
Ilan Tochner
Ilan Tochner

Re: Water Texture...

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Alex,

Water effects are viewer side, and those haven't been updated. I suggest you try increasing your viewer's graphics settings to improve how water looks.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Chris Namaste
Antonio Valenti

Post by Antonio Valenti »

Thank you!
These users thanked the author Antonio Valenti for the post:
Chris Namaste
Mike Lorrey

Post by Mike Lorrey »

Alex Chandler wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:39 pm
Thank you!
The best thing to do is find a nice water texture you want for the type of wave/water action (this is called a 'diffuse' texture),then use it to generate a normal, which is essentially a bump map. the third texture is specular, which is the shininess. Apply all three to the diffuse, normal, and specular texture settings on a prim. On the specular, there's two numbers, environmental and ambient. You want to set these very high. The highest for each is 255. Then you want some transparency, and some glow. Once you've set these how you like, you need a script to animate the texture using the function llSetTextureAnim(ANIM_ON|LOOP|SMOOTH,ALL_SIDES,1,1,1,1,0.05); within the default state where the default script says "llSay(0,"Script started.");"
The 0.05 is the rate in meters per second that the texture moves across the face of the prim. "ALL_SIDES" applies it to all sides of the object.You can change this to the specific side number of the prim or mesh.
Finally, I like to make duplicate prims, and rotate them so the texture flows at 90 degrees in all four directions.