Teleport Issues from Firestorm Login

Ask questions about using viewers to enter worlds, and problems with viewers
Snoots Dwagon

Teleport Issues from Firestorm Login

Post by Snoots Dwagon »

Discovered a teleport issue when using Firestorm and indicating a specific destination on the Viewer splash page.

For example, if I specify a login destination of Weefolk Township, it will set me down on Wellspring (the home of Weefolk Township) but at <251,187,1> rather than the actual Township location of <762,1211,25>.

The landmark in my Favorites was freshly created just prior to running this test, to make sure everything was up to date. Wellspring is an Always-On MegaWorld.
~~~~~~~
I'm a dwagon in real life too. (Ask my sister, who totally agrees.)

~~~~~~~
Ilan Tochner

Re: Teleport Issues from Firestorm Login

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Snoots,

Manually entering a location name in the viewer login page teleports you to a region name not a parcel name. See: https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/login_screen_layout
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Snoots Dwagon
Snoots Dwagon

Post by Snoots Dwagon »

Thanks Ilan. One has to wonder why they even list Favorites locations on the login page if they're just going to drop a person in a random location on the region. Firestorm lists every one of my favorites there.

I verified what you state on OSgrid. I entered Replicant City as my destination... which is a high-sky science fiction multi-exhibit right in the middle of a 5x5 VAR (at 3500m). Firestorm entered me at 3500m... but at coordinates of <128,128,3500>, causing me to fall to my doom. Slowly. Oh so slowly. Not even a parachute. (It takes a while to fall from 3500m.)

What's worse, when one ports in there's some sort of random unstable state, so if I try to land on a platform at 3500m it does crazy things like immediately drop me to 1000m, 600m, 400m in rapid succession. Porting to my home position on the region (which is at 3500m) repeats that random instability. This state remains until I fly to another location, at which time my position becomes stable. (Again, we're speaking of OSgrid, not Kitely... but it proves the issue is Firestorm and not Kitely.)

To make matters worse, it appears that when one logs in in such a manner, there are several things that don't work until one relogs (such as proper texture loading). So now I either log in at Home or Last Location and forget the rest. It's a mess.

Yaaaay Firestorm! :twisted:
These users thanked the author Snoots Dwagon for the post:
Ilan Tochner
~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~
Snoots Dwagon

Post by Snoots Dwagon »

Just in case it seems like I'm being a complaining dwagon...

I understand the folks at Firestorm have a lot on their plate. I'm not blaming Firestorm. How many fires does one put out at one time?

We were just discussing viewer and grid code at a recent meeting and someone (I forget who) mentioned speaking with a dev, who said Linden Lab's Viewer code is in places undocumented and unreadable. It's impossible to determine what the code is supposed to do. (That's one of the problems with computer code: if it's undocumented, it's like random words hooked together without meaning.)

So the folks at Firestorm are dealing with such situations. From what I understand there is currently one Dev for the Opensim version of Firestorm. I do not understand this, since the total number of Opensim regions is considerably more than Second Life regions... but there you are.

So I'm not ranting about Firestorm. It's simply a matter that the inherited code was spaghetti, undercooked at that. Are there problems with Firestorm and the way it's managed? Probably. Show me any organization that doesn't have problems... from Linden Lab to Micro$oft to national governments. Sure I wish Firestorm would do some things differently (such as for example, have the system default to WASD movement so new users can actually walk). I wish my Second Life avatar name would stop showing up on my Opensim version of Firestorm (and vice versa). But these things are just part of virtual world life.

Just wanted to say. One can point out issues without intent of complaining. If no one speaks out, how is Firestorm (or anyone anywhere) going to learn something needs fixed? How would Ilan and Oren update Kitely if no user ever "complained" about things that don't work? Such feedback doesn't mean we're anti-Kitely. Similarly, pointing out Firestorm flaws doesn't mean we're ranting on Firestorm... even when we appear to be. It's just user feedback so that we can help make better worlds. : )
These users thanked the author Snoots Dwagon for the post:
Ilan Tochner
~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~