Latest Firestorm Release Severe bug

Ask questions about using viewers to enter worlds, and problems with viewers
Snoots Dwagon

Latest Firestorm Release Severe bug

Post by Snoots Dwagon »

This bug has been confirmed by multiple users. Two main manifestations:

1. Suddenly not being able to move or do anything. A "crash" by all definitions except the viewer doesn't shut down.

2. Suddenly not being able to edit or rez objects. Can still move around or fly, but losing operational ability.

I tried clearing cache, performing a re-install of the latest version, and finally performing a clean re-install of the latest version. None of these efforts succeeded.

Reverting to a version of Firestorm 2 releases ago eliminated these issues. I have read a report (I forget where) that others were having similar problems with the latest Firestorm release. So thought I'd mention it here.
These users thanked the author Snoots Dwagon for the post (total 2):
Tess JuelGusher Castaignede
~~~~~~~
I'm a dwagon in real life too. (Ask my sister, who totally agrees.)

~~~~~~~
Ilan Tochner

Re: Latest Firestorm Release Severe bug

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Snoots,

Can you please specify the exact Firestorm version that is giving you problems and the one you reverted to? "The latest" and "2 releases ago" are statements that won't age well when new Firestorm versions come out.
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

Ilan Tochner wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:36 pm
Hi Snoots,

Can you please specify the exact Firestorm version that is giving you problems and the one you reverted to? "The latest" and "2 releases ago" are statements that won't age well when new Firestorm versions come out.
At a guess (and looking at the very disparate, some positive, some negative, comments on the page below) 6.6.3.67470 released Sept 9 2002.

https://www.firestormviewer.org/firesto ... 6-3-67470/

I'm currently running 6.5.3.65658 Mar 1 2022 without issues.

https://www.firestormviewer.org/firesto ... 5-3-65658/
These users thanked the author Graham Mills for the post:
Ilan Tochner
Tess Juel

Post by Tess Juel »

Snoots Dwagon wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:51 pm
This bug has been confirmed by multiple users. Two main manifestations:

1. Suddenly not being able to move or do anything. A "crash" by all definitions except the viewer doesn't shut down.

2. Suddenly not being able to edit or rez objects. Can still move around or fly, but losing operational ability.

I tried clearing cache, performing a re-install of the latest version, and finally performing a clean re-install of the latest version. None of these efforts succeeded.

Reverting to a version of Firestorm 2 releases ago eliminated these issues. I have read a report (I forget where) that others were having similar problems with the latest Firestorm release. So thought I'd mention it here.
Can you open a bug report at the Fs JIRA, Snoots? I can't do it since I haven't encountered this bug myself. URL: https://jira.firestormviewer.org/
These users thanked the author Tess Juel for the post (total 3):
Graham MillsChris NamasteIlan Tochner
Snoots Dwagon

Post by Snoots Dwagon »

I know this is an old post, but just to clarify and answer: Graham nailed the versions back then and of course, by now the bug is fixed (while new ones have appeared).

I got out of the habit of filing FS JIRAs because it seemed every time I did the devs did nothing but argue with me, take the filing as a personal affront, and treated me as if I were a clueless newb. One eventually gets tired of that and simply stops filing JIRAs.
~~~~~~~
I'm a dwagon in real life too. (Ask my sister, who totally agrees.)

~~~~~~~
Gusher Castaignede

Post by Gusher Castaignede »

Already experienced the bug on both SL and OS, especially prevalent when having two viewers active then one of them freezes, crashes....it's random though...not every time..
"lnteractivity, Variety, Ease of Use"
Visit my store at Country Manor