Immersive Education Initative Keynote Fun

Using virtual worlds for education
Ruby O'Degee

Immersive Education Initative Keynote Fun

Post by Ruby O'Degee »

The IED (Immersive Education Initiative) http://immersiveeducation.org/events will be holding their conference in LA this summer. Parts of the conference will be made available online, please see schedule. Edummersiveworlds.org (most builds housed at Kitely) has been a member for several years, way back at a time when a group of about 300 souls met in various parts of the metaverse to discuss serious uses for 3D immersion.

Now the Initiative is way big and points in lots of directions. It is difficult to keep up with all the changes and sponsorships, but this year its worth taking note --- one of its keynote speakers is Katie Fico, the award winning Stereographer for Frozen (that blockbuster tune annoying film from Disney). It is expected she will talk about occulus, 3D world distance backgrounds made for the movie with technology that open simmers use frequently, and storytelling - a good basis for starting any build. In addition she will be discussing ways to incorporate 3D immersion with education.

Personal Note: I won't be going to the conference. I will be traveling one last time before retiring with some of my students to D.C., but I did take a look see at the movie Frozen after being forced by my students to see this wondrous animation. Now I am singing that annoying song along with them --- seeing Elsa whip up the ice crystal palace is thrilling. It really is. Best part: I can half way explain to my friends, relatives and co-workers what I feel when I am building and why it takes a whole lot of my time :roll:
Last edited by Ruby O'Degee on Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Ruby O'Degee for the post (total 2):
Dot MatrixGhaelen DLareh
"I am aiming for fantastic believability. You get enough realism. Add something with character, with style, make something that 's better than reality [fiction/non-fiction]." Jeremy Vickery (Pixar)
Graham Mills

Re: Immersive Education Initative Keynote Fun

Post by Graham Mills »

iED lost all credibility for me after their attack on education in SL in 2010. I also recall that they excluded SL from their supported platform list because it was commercial. They then changed their policy towards commercial platforms so they could include products such as the Rift. They do, however, run good (if historically expensive) conferences.

http://mediagrid.org/news/2010-04_Call_ ... _Life.html

Edited to remove potentially inflammatory adjective.
Last edited by Graham Mills on Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ruby O'Degee

Post by Ruby O'Degee »

Graham: One of the reasons I am not involved in SL education is that I grew tired of SL education and the outrageous costs associated with hosting any kind of education in SL.

This is not to suggest my opinions align with IED purposes or objectives. My opinions of education in SL are entirely my own, and why I am not there supporting education, but here supporting education. (In other words, been there, done that). :(

I do continue rent a small plot in Sl, so that I can keep up whatever it is they do there, but I will likely be gone from the plot by summer.

EDIT - I do agree their summits are expensive, and I am not a lover of flying, so I listen/look from afar.
EDIT2 - egregious is a strong word to use, but then so is outrageous. I do need to confess my feelings about costs came about when Sl upped their prices (took away discounts) on many educationally related regions. Not sure about time - starting feeling that way about 2010, so...maybe so...
"I am aiming for fantastic believability. You get enough realism. Add something with character, with style, make something that 's better than reality [fiction/non-fiction]." Jeremy Vickery (Pixar)
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

OK, I take back "egregious" -- it's not a word I often use anyway. I'm not looking for an argument and there's nothing personal involved.
Ruby O'Degee

Post by Ruby O'Degee »

Graham Mills wrote:OK, I take back "egregious" -- it's not a word I often use anyway. I'm not looking for an argument and there's nothing personal involved.
Hello again Graham: I didn't take your egregious personally :D . I only thought you felt strongly about the organization and that is perfectly fine with me. I feel strongly too sometimes. To the movie Frozen I was only directing folks to fun.
These users thanked the author Ruby O'Degee for the post:
Graham Mills