Are we building for nobody?

Talk about anything, whether on topic or off topic
Rowena Dubrovna
Has thanked: 0

Re: Are we building for nobody?

Post by Rowena Dubrovna »

Roswenthe has brought me to Kitely and I am very excited! While at the moment we strive to provide a sim for our family community, we eventually want to have a genuine roleplay. I worked very hard along with several people to maintain a roleplay community in Second Life, but the 295 cost... That's where I think the roleplay community will really start coming over :-D
These users thanked the author Rowena Dubrovna for the post:
Constance Peregrine
Amiryu Hosoi

Post by Amiryu Hosoi »

Rowena Dubrovna wrote:Roswenthe has brought me to Kitely and I am very excited! While at the moment we strive to provide a sim for our family community, we eventually want to have a genuine roleplay. I worked very hard along with several people to maintain a roleplay community in Second Life, but the 295 cost... That's where I think the roleplay community will really start coming over :-D
Hey Rowena,

It is realy funny that most comments in this thread are about role-play environments. If you think about this, there seem to be a lot of people that are building complete role-play worlds and are doing this for free for visitors to enjoy. If I was a person looking for a special role-play environment I would come to Kitely as soon as I could. It seems players will have a lot of choices when it comes to picking a theme in Kitely. And best of all, it is all for free;-) Anyways, good luck with creating your world Rowena. Btw, I brought my Red Pagoda into Kitely and set it up overlooking the Old Town. It is feeling more and more like home now;-)

Ami
Now delivering to hypergrid http://www.kitely.com/market?store=2570982
Constance Peregrine

Post by Constance Peregrine »

Personally, I see Kitely as one of the most excellent RP places, as well as for Educational uses.

They have intelligently priced according to evolving trending, which is very forward thinking for what is commonly called a "typical sl clone"...taking something and making it both different and interesting.

I think it is fun and wonderful what you are doing and that you all see such value v. opportunity.
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Tully McLeod

Post by Tully McLeod »

I've been kind of stuck in the "It's not ready yet" phase. My two main worlds are open, but one is nowhere near complete, and the other was built more or less for me to hang out in and has little in the way of compelling content. So while they are open, I've never done any kind of promotion or tried to bring people to them because I just feel like there isn't much to see. Problem is, with the current limitations of my schedule, it's hard to imagine they will ever really be done to the point that I feel they are ready for visitors. I think I should get over that feeling and make an attempt to bring a few visitors in. Maybe they will come and find no reason to stay. That's okay, I'm not trying to build a business or a customer base. I'm mostly just looking for a social community of interesting people. Hopefully that will be the true feature that draws people in.

I'm hoping that in a couple of months I will have time to work on them some more and be able to be a little more active again, but if I never put it out there before I feel like I'm done with it, then I will never put it out there. I wonder how many others are kind of in that same situation.
GothixGrafx Utherwurldly

Post by GothixGrafx Utherwurldly »

Tully McLeod wrote:I wonder how many others are kind of in that same situation.
I wish I had a dime for every unfinished project that litters my hard drive. But I am no artist... I only pretend to be one sometimes. Yet I find wisdom in the ramblings of a well known drunken poet. He was adamant that writing should burst out without coercion or commercial ambition.

"You don’t try. That’s very important: not to try, either for Cadillacs, creation or immortality. You wait, and if nothing happens, you wait some more." - Charles Bukowski
Amiryu Hosoi

Post by Amiryu Hosoi »

Tully McLeod wrote:I've been kind of stuck in the "It's not ready yet" phase. My two main worlds are open, but one is nowhere near complete, and the other was built more or less for me to hang out in and has little in the way of compelling content. So while they are open, I've never done any kind of promotion or tried to bring people to them because I just feel like there isn't much to see. Problem is, with the current limitations of my schedule, it's hard to imagine they will ever really be done to the point that I feel they are ready for visitors.
In your case the amount of space Kitely offers could work against you. I feel the exact same way every now and then. It can be a huge task to cultivate all the space your world offers. I would almost say, Kitely should offer smaller worlds but with the same amount of prime. Mmm, another concept.

Ami
Now delivering to hypergrid http://www.kitely.com/market?store=2570982
Deuce Halsey

Post by Deuce Halsey »

Amiryu Hosoi wrote:
Tully McLeod wrote:I would almost say, Kitely should offer smaller worlds but with the same amount of prime. Mmm, another concept.
They already do inasmuch as you can have a single-region world with 100k prims and 100 avatars. 256x256 meters isn't that overly large.

I see the problem more as one of granularity. The world sizes go from 1 region to 4 regions to 9 regions to 16 regions. That leaves gaps of 3, 5 or 7 regions between world sizes.
In the case of my Donnybrook Beach world I easily have more than enough content to fill 1 region, but I'm having trouble filling up the 3 extra regions that exist in that 4 region world.
I'll get around to it eventually, but several spots there are currently kind of empty.
Deuce Halsey
Just4yucks in Kitely Marketplace
http://www.kitely.com/market?store=2704782
Tully McLeod

Post by Tully McLeod »

Both of my worlds are 4 region worlds.

For Shillelagh Hearth filling it wasn't really a problem. There are two main buildings and the rest is just landscape. What I really feel I need there is some dance systems and a few other bit of polish for the pub so I could host some events there. Oopsee recently sent me some stuff which I haven't had a chance to check out, so maybe I already have what I need.

My other world, Eldritch Chrome, is a bit tougher since I really only had plans for a couple of buildings there, but want to fill in with a lot more stuff, but I haven't really figured out what yet.

GothixGrafx Utherwurldly wrote: I wish I had a dime for every unfinished project that litters my hard drive. But I am no artist... I only pretend to be one sometimes. Yet I find wisdom in the ramblings of a well known drunken poet. He was adamant that writing should burst out without coercion or commercial ambition.

"You don’t try. That’s very important: not to try, either for Cadillacs, creation or immortality. You wait, and if nothing happens, you wait some more." - Charles Bukowski
I'm not much of an artist either. I find my skills have fallen behind in the OpenSim world. I can't create meshes, or ever very good sculpted prims. I'm fairly limited in my ability to build, still working with prims and what bits and pieces I can get from elsewhere. I often find myself wowed by the amazing builds I see others do, and dismayed that mine will never compare. However, I also try to remind myself of the advice given to me by an old friend in the SCA. "Don't let the Great be the Enemy of the Good." Things don't have to be perfect or the best to still have value.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

You can always leave some land area (or entire regions) as unterraformed ocean. If you find it troubling that people can fly over empty ocean then create artificial boundaries around your built area using parcels that don't permit anyone but you to enter them.
Constance Peregrine

Post by Constance Peregrine »

or upload some nice island type terrains, to pretty it up a bit...and some trees and such-))

here is some free ones...

http://minethere.blogspot.com/2014/02/f ... rains.html
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...