Chat sync between worlds

Using virtual worlds for education
Graham Mills

Chat sync between worlds

Post by Graham Mills »

I have been looking at strategies for syncing chat between regions. The idea is to have duplicate worlds with areas where students can chat to one another across worlds without having to resort to group IM so chat is better contextualized. I came across a script called intercom http://was.fm/secondlife:intercom which is supposed to work with OpenSim. Has anyone tried this with Kitely? In my hands the Add URL button came out the same URL in both regions but I may be missing something.
Constance Peregrine

Re: Chat sync between worlds

Post by Constance Peregrine »

hmmm...I am not a scriptor, just able to do some slight modifications on some.

There is something like this used in 3rd rock grid, my own seeing it with their annual Robstock event which just passed.

Metro was involved for the first time this year and there was some discussion where one of the admins said the tech is not the issue [referring to Metro doing something similar among some grids].

They call it a chatterbox but of course, if the same thing, the name could be anything, I imagine.

So, I dunno if this is it as I never looked at the scripts [they keep them close], but it CAN be done, is the point of this typical overly long comment.
These users thanked the author Constance Peregrine for the post:
Graham Mills
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

Apologies, that failure to generate a different URL may have been due to my forgetting to press the Reset button. Investigating further... :oops:
Last edited by Graham Mills on Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

And I am pleased to report that it now works. :roll:

I have no idea how well it scales but it could be very useful for supporting larger classes distributed among multiple regions. Further experimentation will ensue...

PS: OK, some problems with reproducibility -- for another day.
These users thanked the author Graham Mills for the post:
Constance Peregrine