I'm looking foreward to OpenSim 0.8.0

Stores, items and deals
Kayaker Magic

I'm looking foreward to OpenSim 0.8.0

Post by Kayaker Magic »

I have been trying a few things out on OpenSim 0.8.0 (by going to OSgrid) and it feels good to me. There is a long standing bug that I have been begging the OpenSim developers to fix for years: llSetLinkPrimitiveParams can now move a seated avatar in 0.8.0. You many not have heard of this problem, but it is the reason that furniture in OpenSim is so primitive or messed up. This bug fix allows furniture without pose-balls, to have multiple animations, multiple positions, and for an avatar to switch from one animation+position to another. Perhaps you have heard of the script AVsitter in SL? Well that script (or anything like it) could not work on any OpenSim based grid, until 0.8.0 (except on Avination where they fixed it years ago and forgot to port the fix back to OpenSim, and InWorldz where there is a bug that allows you to work around the other bug). I have a script called the Magic Pose System (MPS) that does some of the same features as AVsitter. Check out the tutorials and documentation for it at http://magic.kayaker.net/MPS . I sell it on grids where it works well (InWorldz and Avination) and when OpenSim 0.8.0 comes to Kitely, I will be selling it here. Watch this space for an announcement!
I have a version available for OpenSim 0.7.6 (what I called vanilla OpenSim), but it has to unsit the avatar every time you change animations so you can sit back down in a new position. For a while I tried to convince myself that that unsit-and-click-again was OK, but I got tired of this kludge and I'm happy to see the problem finally fixed.
These users thanked the author Kayaker Magic for the post (total 3):
Graham MillsOzwell WayfarerSherrie Melody
Constance Peregrine

Re: I'm looking foreward to OpenSim 0.8.0

Post by Constance Peregrine »

I'm curious if Kitely will incorporate varregions. I do love paradigm changers.
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Minethere,

We're currently using our proprietary Advanced Megaregions technology and it isn't clear yet whether varregions are a better alternative. We'll decide once OpenSim 0.8.0 is released and we have a chance to properly compare the two.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 3):
Constance PeregrineSherrie MelodyDeuce Halsey
Min Tigerpaw

Post by Min Tigerpaw »

My view on the issue of positioning avi's sitting on linked objects:
The described move to OpenSim 0.8.0 sounds like the way to go ultimately if we want best compatibility with scripts from SL - so I'm all for it but some comments here:

The current OpenSim version of Kitely allows positioning of avatars sitting on linked objects like furniture in a quality that I don't see different from SL. It's just done in a different concept:
In SL - and this according to my information was originally not intended this way - the avatar can be idependently moved by the llSetLinkPrimitiveParamsFast-command addressing the avi by the link-number after seating. If you move the prim, the avi is sitting on, in SL the avi is not moved with it. Will this be the same in OpenSim 0.8.0 ?
In OpenSim so far the avatar cannot be moved with this command by directly addressing the link-number but can be moved by moving the prim in the linkset it is sitting on.
When entering Kitely it took me some time to figure that out but meanwhile I see it as an equivalent way to do the positioning of avi's sitting on a linkset. You just need to make the prim the avi is sitting on an invisible one.

As to which concept is the better or more logical one we could probably discuss a long time but the argument about compatibility to SL-Script-practice is a strong one - so I don't object to moving to 0.8.0 - I'd just need a warning ahead ot time as all the script/menu based seating in KWC and all my sales-objects rely on the current principle and I need to update them / give customers updated items. :!:

Cheers, Min