Educator meetup?

Using virtual worlds for education
Graham Mills

Educator meetup?

Post by Graham Mills »

Now Kitely is hypergrid-enabled I'm toying with the idea of hosting an informal meetup at 14:00 PDT/22:00 BST on the last Sunday of each month. That means the first meetup would be on 25th May, i.e. next Sunday. There's no agenda although subsequent meetings might include visiting one or more regions and/or having brief talks. Maybe a pecha kucha session where multiple folk tell us either what they're doing or what they want to do? A session based on gizmos, teaching strategies, etc.? Whatever, your call.

Anyway, put the date in your diary if interested -- I'll announce a location nearer the time.
These users thanked the author Graham Mills for the post (total 3):
Constance PeregrineSelby Evansonyxty delta
Freda Frostbite

Re: Educator meetup?

Post by Freda Frostbite »

I am wondering which sort of educators you want to include. In my virtual and real worlds, I teach writing of various types. In my first life, I used to be a university music professor and am still a private voice and piano instructor (very, very part time). We have a couple of young people (10 and 12) using space on my Shareville sim, where they amuse one another and build stuff and terraform the land into swiss cheese cloth. They are also learning some scripting skills. I mostly just provide them with space and buy them what "stuff" they need to practice their creative skills in Kitely.

So am I what you mean by educator? Or do you have something more structures in mind and are you specifically targeting those who work primarily with kids? And please tell me what time 22:00 is? I am thinking it is 2 pm Pacific. Am I even close?
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

14:00 PDT = 2 pm Pacific Daylight Time

22:00 BST = 10 pm British Summer Time
These users thanked the author Dot Matrix for the post:
Graham Mills
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

Hi Freda

I don't have any preconceptions other than I am not addressing general skills training except where it is relevant to the needs of educators -- if that makes sense. That said, I am probably thinking more of those involved in formal rather than informal education -- if those formerly involved in formal education want to attend, that's fine by me as I'm sure they will have useful insights to contribute. That said, I have no idea what numbers are likely to be -- I've also invited folk from the opensim edu list so there will hopefully be people hypergridding from outside Kitely too. I think this is a case where too much forward planning is likely to be over-kill but we'll have a post-event rethink if necessary.
Freda Frostbite wrote:I am wondering which sort of educators you want to include. In my virtual and real worlds, I teach writing of various types. In my first life, I used to be a university music professor and am still a private voice and piano instructor (very, very part time). We have a couple of young people (10 and 12) using space on my Shareville sim, where they amuse one another and build stuff and terraform the land into swiss cheese cloth. They are also learning some scripting skills. I mostly just provide them with space and buy them what "stuff" they need to practice their creative skills in Kitely.

So am I what you mean by educator? Or do you have something more structures in mind and are you specifically targeting those who work primarily with kids? And please tell me what time 22:00 is? I am thinking it is 2 pm Pacific. Am I even close?
Constance Peregrine

Post by Constance Peregrine »

22:00 is 12 pm + 10 hours...used to be called, and still is in America, military time...but I guess used normally in more forward thinking countries who also use the Metric system-)))

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/24-hour_clock
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

I think I failed my inter-cultural sensitivity test straight off -- people significantly to the east of the UK won't be too impressed either. If there's any mileage in this we would probably have to look at alternating times and hosts to be more inclusive.
Minethere Always wrote:22:00 is 12 pm + 10 hours...used to be called, and still is in America, military time...but I guess used normally in more forward thinking countries who also use the Metric system-)))

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/24-hour_clock
These users thanked the author Graham Mills for the post:
Constance Peregrine
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

Another way might be to use the inworld visual event calendar (Dundridge's system) which automatically gives the time in American and International versions, including a countdown that is the same in all timezones*.

* Unless you are a time traveller, in which case you are on your own.
These users thanked the author Dot Matrix for the post (total 3):
Graham MillsFreda FrostbiteDanko Whitfield
Freda Frostbite

Post by Freda Frostbite »

I generally give times in Kitely time which is displayed in my viewers. That makes it easy for everyone to figure out how many hours different their time is from Kitely time (which just happens to be the same as US Pacific time).
These users thanked the author Freda Frostbite for the post:
Constance Peregrine
Danko Whitfield

Post by Danko Whitfield »

Freda Frostbite wrote:I generally give times in Kitely time which is displayed in my viewers. That makes it easy for everyone to figure out how many hours different their time is from Kitely time (which just happens to be the same as US Pacific time).
But the Kitely Forums are in UTC not Pacific time. So I am confused when someone says "Kitely time" and is referring to what might be called Inworld Time or as everybody knows is really Second Life Time it's just that nobody wants to say it.

Hence I propose we adopt Pacific Time on all grids and websites for grids and refer to it as Virtual Time.

But that's neither here nor there.

Just let's not be saying "Kitely time" because there are two of them.

(No offense Freda, it's me...I'm very easily confused. In any time. Most of the time.)
These users thanked the author Danko Whitfield for the post:
Freda Frostbite
Constance Peregrine

Post by Constance Peregrine »

frankly, in the rare times I promote events anymore, I use this;

2pm/slt/metatime/pst/whatevergridname

but then, I am weird that way....................and I love it!!
These users thanked the author Constance Peregrine for the post:
Danko Whitfield
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...