Landis Island

Worlds that you created or discovered
Geoff Quinnell

Landis Island

Post by Geoff Quinnell »

Now Open... LANDIS ISLAND... Something different?
http://www.kitely.com/virtual-world/Geo ... dis-Island

Landis Island, located off the northern end of Vancouver Island, Canada, is made up of a group of small islands forming a circular archipelago.

Known to have once been populated by a now extinct race called the Hachaath, it was once connected to the mainland via an ancient land bridge.

This atmospheric location, and the eerie dead forest that covers most of the island, is now home to a nature reserve with a difference.

The reserve, and more recently the visitor centre, was set up to study and research the many reports of sightings of an unknown man-like bipedal creature on the island that stretch back hundreds of years.

Wildmen stories are common among the indigenous population of the Pacific Northwest, and with its ancient connection to the mainland, it is thought that these creatures, if they exist, may have made their way onto Landis Island, via this land bridge.

Bigfoot, or Sasquatch, as it’s been more commonly known as, is described in reports as a large hairy ape-like creature, in a range of 2–3 m (6.6-9.8 ft) tall, weighing in excess of 500 pounds (230 kg), and covered in dark brown or dark reddish hair. Witnesses have also described large, sometimes glowing, eyes, a pronounced brow ridge, and a large, low-set forehead; the top of the head has been described as rounded and crested, similar to the sagittal crest of the male gorilla. The creature has also been reported to have a strong, unpleasant smell by those who claim to have encountered it. The enormous footprints for which it is named have been as large as 24 inches (60 cm) long and 8 inches (20 cm) wide.

In recent years vocalisations heard on Landis Island, have been added to the list of phenomena, and are now claimed to be linked to the mysterious nocturnal creatures.

Whatever your views, Bigfoot and Landis Island continue to make news, confounding those of us who think we know better, that no such creature could exist.

My advice?... Take a trip to Landis Island, visit the research centre, and then if you dare, experience the unique atmosphere of the dead forest and the ancient Hachaath temple… look and listen… you may return a believer… who knows?

(Please Note: To experience Landis Island at its best, please enable Windlight/Lightshare, and switch on your viewer audio/music to hear the special sound effects)
These users thanked the author Geoff Quinnell for the post (total 4):
Constance PeregrineGraham MillsFreda FrostbiteSerene Jewell
Geoff Quinnell

Re: Landis Island

Post by Geoff Quinnell »

Hi all...

Latest news... a friend of mine was at Landis island yesterday... her comments were as follows.

"This was the first time I'd ever been to Landis Island, and was walking along one of the wooden walkways, not quite sure where I was, but I was taking in the stunning atmosphere, when I felt someone (or something) was watching me. I carried on walking, but the feeling got stronger and stronger... it was scary. I stopped and looked round and could just make out a figure, through the trees... motionless. I took a quick photo (enclosed). Then after quickly checking the photo, I looked up again, and the figure was gone!!... totally weird. It's a bit vague, but I think there is something there in the photo... Has anyone else reported seeing anything like this?"

Here is my friends photo...
These users thanked the author Geoff Quinnell for the post (total 5):
Dot MatrixConstance PeregrineRoms TrudeauSpiral SilverstarPaislee Myrtle
Geoff Quinnell

Post by Geoff Quinnell »

Landis Island UPDATE:
Just to let everyone know... Landis island is now open to all Premium, Regular and Hypergrid users... grid.kitely.com:8002:Landis Island
Cheers
Geoff
These users thanked the author Geoff Quinnell for the post (total 3):
Constance PeregrineGraham MillsFreda Frostbite
Constance Peregrine

Post by Constance Peregrine »

These users thanked the author Constance Peregrine for the post (total 2):
Freda FrostbiteGeoff Quinnell
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Freda Frostbite

Post by Freda Frostbite »

Very nicely done! I needed a break from my actual job. You know, work -- the thing we do to make money. Well, I hate that and needed a break, so I visited Landis Island. Love it! Thanks for sharing!
These users thanked the author Freda Frostbite for the post:
Geoff Quinnell
Geoff Quinnell

Post by Geoff Quinnell »

Thanks for the help and comments :D
Geoff
These users thanked the author Geoff Quinnell for the post:
Constance Peregrine
Geoff Quinnell

Post by Geoff Quinnell »

ohh and it's still work in progress... adding a few secret places, clues to the "creature" etc.
G.
Constance Peregrine
Paislee Myrtle

Post by Paislee Myrtle »

Dear Geoff ~ During my visit I found the torch you provided very reassuring. I appreciate your thoughtfulness in supplying those to visitors. I've noted in my journal that on my next visit I should have a fellow explorer; after a few strange bellows from the deep woods I hustled back to the visitor's center and stood on the dock. Probably missed a sighting, but at least I made it off the island unharmed! I didn't want to be the head on the fifth stone plinth.
These users thanked the author Paislee Myrtle for the post (total 2):
Geoff QuinnellConstance Peregrine
Geoff Quinnell

Post by Geoff Quinnell »

Glad you enjoyed your visit to Landis Island Paislee… I’ve heard those noises too, scary yes, but the experts tell me that they are designed to be unsettling, and are just calls from one “creature” to another, as they secretly watch any intruders (us) and monitor their movements.
I think you’ll be safe... but don’t quote me lol
Maybe see you there sometime… Still working on making the place more visitor friendly… maybe some camping areas?
G.
Constance Peregrine
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

Take care here -- there's more going on than immediately meets the eye.

Layers upon layers...

((It's very well done, Geoff. Sounds, lighting, atmosphere, hints at things just out of sight...))
These users thanked the author Dot Matrix for the post:
Geoff Quinnell