How to get the Asset UUID

Creating scripts
Sierra Jakob

How to get the Asset UUID

Post by Sierra Jakob »

How do I get an object's UUID?

In my inventory, I am able to right click on a sound and select "Copy Asset UUID".
However, when I right click an object in my inventory, the "Copy Asset UUID" is greyed out--disabled. That's even for an object I made myself completely and is full perm.

(Just in case you are wondering why I am needing this.....I'm adjusting a particle script and need to get the particles to go toward a target object--I need the UUID to do that.)
Garden Castle - Market & Demo Info: http://www.kitely.com/market/product/42 ... ob-Designs
Oren Hurvitz

Re: How to get the Asset UUID

Post by Oren Hurvitz »

When objects are rezzed they don't have an Asset UUID; they have an Object UUID. Those UUID's are created randomly each time the object is rezzed. So if you create a script with a hard-coded Object UUID then it would only work with the specific rezzed object that you're looking at, but it won't work if the script is reused with a different copy of the object.
Handy Low

Post by Handy Low »

If you want to find the UUID of an object in-world using a script, you could use the llSensor() command, together with llDetectedKey(), to find the UUID of an object with a certain name (for example).
Handy Low
Sierra Jakob

Post by Sierra Jakob »

Thank you so much, Oren and Handy. :)
Garden Castle - Market & Demo Info: http://www.kitely.com/market/product/42 ... ob-Designs