Sailboat Script Kit

Stores, items and deals
Kayaker Magic

Sailboat Script Kit

Post by Kayaker Magic »

This is a kit that allows you to bring your tall sailing ship to life. It consists of a root prim (keel) with a script that implements wind powered non-physical sailing. The script does its own physics calculations but does not use the physics engine. The result is smooth motion without the overhead and non-deterministic behavior of SIM physics. The same script also works on many different grids despite ODE, BulletSim, PhysX, Havok or any other physics engine.

It will sail the SIM wind, wind sent by Wind Setter Buoys, or internal wind. The script does two kinds of sailing calculations, fore-and-aft and square-rigged, separately or together. The the boat heels over in the wind, tacks and gybes realistically. A dialog has buttons to reef and furl the Square and for-and-aft sails separately. The left/right keys turn the boat and the forward/back keys set the sheets on the fore-and-aft sails. It also has an engine mode for motoring without sails, controlled by the page-up/page-down keys. The dialog has a mode to allow only you or your fiends to drive and even give them permission to change modes in the dialog. To return to the dock just jump off and the boat will teleport back to its starting point. (Disable this with the dialog if you wish). The boat starts out with just one prim and can only sit the pilot, but you can add as many prims and seats as you wish. A non-physical boat does not have the prim limits of a physical one.

To see a sailboat built from this kit, come to my Chandlery at [url]hop://grid.kitely.com:8002/Panthalassa/214/358/22[/url]. There you will also see many other instruments, engines and other things to add to your boat.
Tall Ship built with this Sailboat Builders Kit
Tall Ship built with this Sailboat Builders Kit
Sails:

There are are several intelligent scripted sails available from Ocean Engineering. Some of these are optional and must be bought separately. Why not include everything in one kit? Because you may not need some types of sails on some boats. Everyone wants flags and jib sails on every kind of sailboat, so those are included in this kit. You simply link these sail prims into your build. Depending on the type of boat you are building you will want to buy square, gaff or Bermuda sails to go with your design. Just link these sail prims into the same build as the root prim and they will start communicating and turning into the wind. You can link as many sails as you want into the build, they each come to life the next time the boat moves.
The Square Sail Kit has tapered shapes
The Square Sail Kit has tapered shapes
All types of sails will flap when facing too far away from the wind. They will make a wind-in-the sail noise when they are pulling. The more sails you link into your build, the louder the nose will be! The sails don't quite flap at the same time, so the nose when you tack can be impressive!
The Gaff Sail includes a TopGaff, a special type of Jib
The Gaff Sail includes a TopGaff, a special type of Jib
These users thanked the author Kayaker Magic for the post (total 5):
Selby EvansFreda FrostbiteConstance PeregrineSerene JewellIsis Ophelia
JCat Ziva

Re: Sailboat Script Kit

Post by JCat Ziva »

:o Magnificent work. I have to revisit and take a tour when I have some more time.
Carlos Loff

Post by Carlos Loff »

Im your fan, tell me is it export so we can buil new boats for sail ?
Kitely - Meta Lisbon --> grid.kitely.com:8002:Meta Lisbon Startups
Join Me on Meetup --> https://www.meetup.com/metalisbonstartups/
Join Kitely Group --> Meta Lisbon Startups
Kayaker Magic

Post by Kayaker Magic »

Carlos Loff wrote:tell me is it export so we can buil new boats for sail ?
The sails are all available exportable, they come with a full-perm script that shows how to bring the sails to life in your own boat script.

I'm working on the export version of my sailing ship script. I think it is done, I need to do more testing. Any volunteers to be crash test dummies? What I have done on other grids with boat scripts like this is to sell them on a royalty system: The initial price is low, then you agree to pay me a royalty for each ship you sell. Something in the range of KC400 to 800.

I just put up a video (http://youtu.be/3IhD9_XfST4) showing how easy it is to build a ship using my script and living sails. It took me 35 minutes to make this Schooner (your mileage may vary) and start sailing it. Of course it needs a lot more detail added, but that is the job of boat builders! You can jump on this ship and sail it right now in front of my Chandlery at [url]hop://grid.kitely.com:8002/Panthalassa/214/358/22[/url]
Schooner.jpg
These users thanked the author Kayaker Magic for the post (total 4):
Constance PeregrineSelby EvansSerene JewellIsis Ophelia
Serene Jewell

Post by Serene Jewell »

Very cook, Kayaker! I love the idea of a kit so that people can assemble their own, but the scripts are included. That being said, I am not a ship builder, but I am an excellent crash dummy. There's never been a craft made that I couldn't crash! Call me when you need my specialized services. :-)
These users thanked the author Serene Jewell for the post:
Constance Peregrine