Region controls not working?

Ask questions about creating worlds, using worlds, etc.
Iain McCracken

Region controls not working?

Post by Iain McCracken »

Recently, one of my estate managers accidentally turned damage on in a region, and now nobody can turn it off.

As world owner, I have no control over restrict-push, damage, block-fly, etc.

I'd like to have control over my sims again.
Ilan Tochner

Re: Region controls not working?

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Iain,

Please PM me a link to the world page of the world you are referring to.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

By "I have no control over restrict-push, damage, block-fly, etc." are you referring to your user account that is one of the estate managers or to the user account which holds that world?

Have you tried changing these settings with the user account which holds the worlds? (not your alt which you set as estate manager)
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

We found your problem:

The "Allow Damage" checkbox in the Region tab of the Region Settings was indeed unselected but the "Safe (no damage)" checkbox in the Options tab of the Parcel Settings was also unselected. Once we selected the "Safe (no damage)" checkbox, damage was turned off in that world.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Carlos Loff
Iain McCracken

Post by Iain McCracken »

My problem is that the Region tab on the region controls has no effect on damage, fly, or push -- it does not matter whether these checkboxes are selected or unselected. To say that you should just use the parcel controls and call it "problem solved" is just sidestepping the actual problem. The actual problem is that the Region tab on the region controls has no effect.

How can damage be turned on in a region if "allow damage" on the region controls is turned off? It doesn't matter that you can make individual parcels safe.

The other question is, how did Ada turn damage on in the first place? After she turned it on, it refused to turn back off. She couldn't turn it off, and neither could the region owner avatar.

You could have said that that panel of the region controls isn't implemented in Kitely.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Changing the values in the region settings change them in the database, so it isn't a question of whether or not the region control panel is implemented - it is.

What you will notice is that while the changes are reflected on OpenSim's end immediately they are only updated in Firestorm when you log into the region. That is a Firestorm problem that doesn't exist in Singularity. In Singularity the changes you make to the region settings are reflected immediately in the viewer as well.

We haven't touched any of that code, it is the logic that exists in OpenSim 0.8.0. Why the Parcel settings define whether or not the viewer displays Damage in the GUI is a good question but it isn't one we have control over.
Iain McCracken

Post by Iain McCracken »

Then I'm confused.

When I log in, region damage is turned on, regardless of the setting of the region controls dialog. The setting is damage *off* in the region controls, and has been since it turned on and refused to be turned off. This is several days ago now, and everybody experienced that damage was *on* when they logged into the region. Multiple people, multiple logins each. And it likely has persisted over several restarts of the region too.

Therein lies my confusion -- the region controls say damage is set to *off* and yet, it is *on*. And you are seemingly saying that this is OK, and avatars getting killed and teleported home is a Firestorm bug.

To mark the parcel safe using parcel controls is fine as a workaround for damage, but what happens if the region suddenly decides to block flying? There is no way to override that in the parcel controls.
Constance Peregrine

Post by Constance Peregrine »

this is rather odd, I have never seen such an issue...interesting
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

"The setting is damage *off* in the region controls, and has been since it turned on and refused to be turned off." <== What do you mean by this part. Is it on or off?

What we found is that the changes to that checkbox do change the state in OpenSim's backend (the value it stores for that setting) however that the Parcel's Safe setting is what decides whether or not Damage is shown in the viewer. Is the region settings supposed to override the parcel settings for this? How does this behave in Second Life?

Regardless, selecting and unselecting that checkbox behaves differently (as far as the effects on the viewer's GUI are concerned) in Firestrom and in Singularity.
Selby Evans

Post by Selby Evans »

I see that the damage setting is off on the FSR set. Ilan--my experience in SL is that the setting that deviates from default overrides the default setting, whether parcel or region.