Preparation of megaregion OARs -- NO LONGER OFFERED

Announce the services that you provide
Shandon Loring

Re: Preparation of megaregion OARs

Post by Shandon Loring »

uh oh, Miney curious? hold on to your hats n glasses folks!
8-)
These users thanked the author Shandon Loring for the post:
Constance Peregrine
Constance Peregrine

Post by Constance Peregrine »

Shandon Loring wrote:uh oh, Miney curious? hold on to your hats n glasses folks!
8-)
and it has killed me, more than 9 times, much more...........................................
These users thanked the author Constance Peregrine for the post:
Shandon Loring
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Amiryu Hosoi

Post by Amiryu Hosoi »

Dear Dot,

Could you please also explain the other way around? Lets say I have a 16 region megaregion and I would like to export and then upload to a local machine to work on. What would be the complete workaround?

Hugs,

Ami
Now delivering to hypergrid http://www.kitely.com/market?store=2570982
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

Hi Ami

I usually switch to non-Advanced Megaregion mode before making the OAR. So click the Manage button on the World page, then the Advanced tab. Untick "Advanced Megaregion mode", then click Save.

To save the megaregion OAR in Kitely, once more click the Manage button on the World page, then go to the Files tab. Click Export World.

This process may take a while, especially for large builds. You'll get an indication of how things are progressing. Once it is done, you get a dialog box with two links. One is to download the OAR file, the other to a webpage report detailing anything that wasn't included in the OAR and why (insufficient permissions). It's worth saving the webpage report to your computer and keeping it with the OAR file. I usually add a date to both filenames so I know they belong together.

To use the OAR file on your home computer, you will need something like Sim-on-a-Stick (http://simonastick.com/). Set it up to run as a 4x4 (I've found it's better not to be in megaregion mode, so turn this off in myworld.ini), then, in the console, navigate to the root SW region ("change region root") and use the console to load the OAR file from Kitely ("load oar KitelyOARfilename.oar").

Hope this helps, but do say if anything is unclear or you need to know more.
Shandon Loring

Post by Shandon Loring »

Hi Dot,
I am waiting to receive my license for New World Studio.. paid for it several days ago, but did not get the license key yet... :-(
We're prepping for the OSCC conference and I need customize a 1-region version of our homeworld.
Two questions then...
1) do you recommend any easy to use tool aside from NWS?
2) if i hand you a 4-region oar, can you pull out one region and hand me back a 1-region oar of just that region? very willing to pay you of course...

Thanks!
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

I'd recommend Sim on a Stick.

I did try NWS but it wouldn't work on my Mac. Danko has used NWS on a PC -- it might be worth dropping him a line.

As for your other question: Yes, it is possible to extract a single region OAR from a mega. Note that you will need to turn Advanced Megaregion mode OFF before saving the OAR in Kitely for this to work.

Please send me a forum PM and we can sort out details.
Michael Timeless

Post by Michael Timeless »

Dot Macchi wrote:
I can help by merging the OARs into a single file that you can then upload into a new or existing Kitely world connected to your account.

I should have posted this before but I've been too amazed by the quality of the work that Dot has done. Dot is a very patient mentor who was able to walk me through the process of turning some three year old OARS from another world into the beginnings of a very well done mega-region. Her patience, understanding and her tact (like when I mixed up north and south) were simply amazing. Despite the multi-hour time difference I always found her cheerful and helpful.

Michael Timeless
(Now thinking of other things I can ask her to do....) :D
These users thanked the author Michael Timeless for the post (total 4):
Ilan TochnerConstance PeregrineSelby EvansDot Matrix
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

Thank you for the kind words, Michael. I was glad to help.

May I redirect people to a new thread, please, so that any messages go to the right avie? OAR preparation services -- new official thread

Dot Macchi has retired -- it's Dot Matrix that does all the work nowadays! ;-)
These users thanked the author Dot Matrix for the post:
Michael Timeless
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

I'm no longer able to offer this service, but you could try this alternative one:
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=5362