Kitely donates $250 to help OSGrid recover from its crash

Provide feedback, criticism or praise about Kitely, or suggest new features
Ilan Tochner

Kitely donates $250 to help OSGrid recover from its crash

Post by Ilan Tochner »

OSGrid is OpenSim’s official development grid, and its existence is crucial for testing new OpenSim versions. Unfortunately more than a month ago the hard disks that were used to store all of the grid’s data crashed, and OSGrid has been offline ever since.

Recovering from that data loss has cost more than $4800, and the people that manage OSGrid have asked for donations to cover the expense. We’ve therefore decided to step up and donate $250 to OSGrid.

See: http://www.kitely.com/virtual-world-new ... its-crash/
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 12):
Graham MillsDot MatrixRoswenthe BlackwellConstance PeregrineGaga GraciousMarstol NitelyKayaker MagicRobert StanleyKarima HoisanBrian Roberts and 2 more users
Amiryu Hosoi

Re: Kitely donates $250 to help OSGrid recover from its cras

Post by Amiryu Hosoi »

Dear Ilan, while I think this is a very generous gesture, maybe it would be better to think of another scenario, meaning, adopt Opensim. Why not let Kitely become the oficial development environment? It would benefit a lot of people, first of all the users.

Ami
Now delivering to hypergrid http://www.kitely.com/market?store=2570982
Savino van Meirhaeghe

Post by Savino van Meirhaeghe »

well done ILan with this gift..
a other point is kitely can not works as a full test project for what not well on this reasons..
osgrid people change alle days in opensim updates so this is unfortune.. this give a unstable kitely.. and i think no on of us people this will
2 kitely have a other structure for run opensim .yeah and this is also not real good alle time regions shutdowns and restarts allone for testings..

hugs
savino
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Ami,

As Savino correctly stated, we can't turn Kitely into a test grid similar to OSGrid as that would result in Kitely having the same type of stability and performance issues OSGrid sometimes suffers from. In addition, it's important that a vendor-neutral testing ground for new features continues to exist in order to support continued development of the OpenSim project by competing service providers.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Graham Mills
Kayaker Magic

Post by Kayaker Magic »

Following Kitely's good example, I just donated USD$100 to OSgrid to help with the recovery process.
Can I shame anyone else into doing the same? Must I get out a bucket of ice water?
For a while I have had PayPal send them a recurring donation every month to help with hosting costs.
I do (did) have a few regions hosted on a server in my barn that was on the OSgrid. I suppose not everyone here uses OSgrid as much as I do (did).
These users thanked the author Kayaker Magic for the post (total 3):
Ilan TochnerMarstol NitelyBoo Rojyo
Ada Radius

Post by Ada Radius »

I think a lot of us are sending what we can. Why shame?
Kayaker Magic wrote:Following Kitely's good example, I just donated USD$100 to OSgrid to help with the recovery process.
Can I shame anyone else into doing the same? Must I get out a bucket of ice water?
For a while I have had PayPal send them a recurring donation every month to help with hosting costs.
I do (did) have a few regions hosted on a server in my barn that was on the OSgrid. I suppose not everyone here uses OSgrid as much as I do (did).
Constance Peregrine

Post by Constance Peregrine »

I sent my last 5 bucks [other than the 2 bucks to hold my paypal open] to Metropolis....why? Because they are a non-profit also and carrying the burden willingly for many displaced OSG folx.

Does 5 bucks matter? Not really, I just like the thought of it-))

Either way is cool, but people lose sight of the grids who welcome the displaced, that operate via their own money and donations too.

Bandwidth costs...[or whatever it is that costs more when such things happen...lol]
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...