Would you use a PayPal-enabled Donation Box?

Talk about anything, whether on topic or off topic
Roswenthe Blackwell

Re: Would you use a PayPal-enabled Donation Box?

Post by Roswenthe Blackwell »

I would be hesitant to use it, but happy to pay in KC or buy from a store. I would be less hesitant if I could buy the script and set it up myself.

I think if I were to use Paypal to pay an artist, I would prefer to have their Paypal email and pay them directly from my account.

And, FYI, Paypal now accepts gift cards, so you can set Kitely to Paypal funds backed up by the gift card, if you don't want to use your bank account or credit card.
Tully McLeod

Post by Tully McLeod »

I like the idea of having it as an option, but as others have said, it may be a bit too cumbersome to make it really useful

For myself, I would likely just put out a KC tip jar that pays me, then pay the performer real money directly based on some pre-agreed conversion rate. I can always use the KC in my account and it makes it simple for those wishing to donate.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Roxy,

All you need is a sign that opens the relevant Kitely Market product page when it is clicked. To do so you'll need to use a script such as this one llLoadURL

The merchants showcase area in Kitely Welcome Center does the same thing in a much more complicated way to enable for easy configuration of the signs by non-programmers. That system was created by Dundridge Dreadlow, so I'm not at liberty to give it away, but you can try contacting him directly if you wish to acquire it. Maybe he'll be willing to add it to his Kitely Market store.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Selby Evans
Kayaker Magic

Post by Kayaker Magic »

Roxy Gellar wrote:Is it possible to remove the script that floats the name and donation over the Paypal jar?
You would think that in a Virtual World ANYTHING would be possible, but it turns out that many things are forbidden, or don't have ways to do them. The LSL Library routines are full of hidden restructions, rules and requirements. The list of things I tried to write and discovered I could not is longer than the list of things I got to work.
However, removing the floating text is not one of them! I will include an option to disable that in the next version!
Kayaker Magic

Post by Kayaker Magic »

Roxy Gellar wrote: Note to Kayaker: People are asking for the Paypal donation jar.
Oh, it has been available on the Kitely Marketplace for a while now.
http://www.kitely.com/market/product/54 ... Donate-Box

I'm selling it for practically nothing, giving it away really.
It is exportable and MOD so you can morph it into a donate box of your own. (Roxy did that without having to be told! :) )

Curiously, people in Second Life are clamoring for it as well! In my product research on InWorldz, the universal reaction to the idea was NO! I WOULD NEVER USE SUCH AN EVIL THING! so I didn't even ask or offer it for sale in SL. But now there is a lot of interest.