region land texture scale and offsets?

Building using prims, sculpties and meshes. Texture creation techniques.
Alexander Parrish
Has thanked: 0

region land texture scale and offsets?

Post by Alexander Parrish »

I'm trying to match the texture scale and offsets on a 256x256m prim with the region land texture. For the scale I came up with 21.333333 which is 12/256. Just eyeballing it for the offsets I've got,
horizontal = -0.4925 (centered east west)
vertical = -0.161 (aligns to north edge)

I was wondering if any one knew the exact/correct offsets? I would think they should have been,
horizontal 0.5 (centered east west)
vertical 0.0 (aligns to north edge)
but that looks a little off, maybe due to the scale not being even? but I would still think that centered would be 0.5 not -0.4925
Alexander Parrish

Re: region land texture scale and offsets?

Noticing more strange things about region texture offsets, I was hoping to use a grid texture for the terrain. For some projects I want to be able to build to the land subdivisions units for join/subdivide which are multiples of 4m, the land texture scale repeats the texture every 12m, but has a strange off set as noted above.

Today I did some more testing and found that the land terrain textures is all so off east to west from the join/subdivide grid by about 0.12m. Not sure if this is a bug or just the way the system was designed. Unfortunately I don't have a full sim where I can test this in SL to see if this is some thing Kitely inherited from SL or opensim, most likely it is. I know the texture scaling is the same as in SL, but not if the offsets are.

If this is just the way the land textures are suppose to be then knowing the exact offset of the land texture, and land texture to join/subdivide would be useful to know. I've looked for 2 day for any information on these offsets. If you know the offset then it should be possible to script an object to match the land offsets to blend the textures seamlessly between the land and object, very useful for making landscaping objects.
Handy Low

Post by Handy Low »

I think that the application of textures to land is entirely handled by the viewer, so you'd expect that a given viewer would render identically between SL and OpenSim. All the server does is store the values you see in the region properties (textures and height ranges, etc).
Handy Low
Alexander Parrish

The rendering would be the same viewer side as you point out, and would make sense that the region setting are stored server side, but the region terrain properties don't allow for editing the train textures offset or scale/repeats, which are different then the terrain height. I'm guessing that the repeats and offsets are hard coded server side, but that's over my head and out of my reach to find.

It's not a critical issue that the terrain textures have an off offset, and don't line up with the join/subdivide grid, but it dose seem a bit strange. Even more strange is that they are off by different amounts north/south vs east/west. May be there's a good reason why LL chose to repeat the train texture by a number that doesn't divided in to 256 evenly with 0 offsets, but it escapes me.