Crashing World

Ask questions about creating worlds, using worlds, etc.
Arton Tripsa

Crashing World

Post by Arton Tripsa »

On an average of one out of 3 days (and I am here almost every day) my world, ‘State Of Writing’ crashes and everyone (usually about 3-4 people) is kicked out. It does not seem to be viewer related (normally I would blame FS - I love FS and am grateful to the folks who made it but on a Mac, a very powerful Mac, FS often misbehaves very strangely, I think it is better on Windows) because the folks who get kicked off are using FS and Singularity, both equally….I have wondered if it is just that a 16 region world sometimes has its issues ( and why would it not occasionally?) but it was doing it before we switched to Varegion and I waited to see if it may improve but it has not… any thoughts on this?
Ilan Tochner

Re: Crashing World

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Arton,

According to our logs these crashes happen when the user "Alexander Zoltai" enters your world.

The crash is a native crash, somewhere in ODE (the physics engine). We've seen this happen once or twice before. Something about the avatar is causing an error in ODE. It may be something the avatar is wearing, or an attachment. We think this may have happened because of something in the avatar shape itself, but we're not sure. The outfit/attachments are much more likely.

If we can't find the exact source of the problem one solution would be to create a new account for that user to replace his existing one.
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

I've experienced crashes a couple of times since the update. As I was the only avatar present I have nobody else to blame. :oops:
Arton Tripsa

Post by Arton Tripsa »

Thanks for the reply, Ilan. Oran did contact Alex about crashing the world along time ago, and we thought we managed to remove an attachment. He checked his attachments after that and he could not find anything unusual. But perhaps that corrupted something in his avi? His avi is one of the freebie avis from the Kitely Welcome centre. .....His experience in Kitely has downgraded as well since he first arrived and we have wondered why... perhaps a new account could be a fix to that too?

It sounds pretty drastic, but perhaps it may be necessary. How would he create a new account? Could he still retain his name (this is important as it is his RL name that he writes under - he is an author) - and what would happen to his inventory? I'll let him know about what you have said.

Thanks for your time :-)
These users thanked the author Arton Tripsa for the post:
Selby Evans
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

The question is what is causing the slowdown, if it is something in his inventory that he sometimes wears then it may not be a good idea to transfer it over to the new account. If you crashed as well then maybe you have that item as well. It would be good to experiment and try to find out what if anything in your inventories causes this.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

We're now investigating additional possible causes deep inside Mono (which is what runs OpenSim on Linux). We'll see if we can bypass them to reduce the frequency of these crashes.
Arton Tripsa

Post by Arton Tripsa »

Ilan, the crashes do occur when Alex is present because he is always there when I am there, BUT this crash happens also when I am inworld on my own..this is a fact. So it can't be Alex's avi, it must be ME, lol. (Also, btw, Alex's slow down could simply be caused by the fact that his computer only has 2 gb of ram... lol.) I get a message saying that the world is having trouble and is about to shut down..

And suddenly I have thought of something that may be related or not, so I'm going to throw this in as well... I was going to write a support message about this but held off while I tried to fix it myself... because I am having real trouble with my inventory. I had assumed that this was my fault and I just needed to clean it out of duplicates etc and make sure there was no more than only 1000 in each folder. (yes I have read Oren's advice about folder size) I am now wondering if I have something corrupt in my inventory and this inventory problem, which I will describe below, is related?

I have around 21,000 in my inventory. But most days only about 15,000 is now showing up. Then suddenly on some random day a deluge of my missing stuff downloads in a torrent in about 60 secs and I get back 5000 items and the 21,000 is restored. This lasts for a bout 2 log ins and then, oh dear, I go back to having only 15000. This has been driving me nuts. ( btw there is no way, I can think of, of counting large amount of items in a folder- so perplexed on how I check this accurately actually?)

Could some corruption in my inventory be causing this and be related to the crashes?

I really appreciate your time and efforts and I am sorry this message is is getting so complex :-)
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

We'll be rolling out a site update tomorrow that is aimed at addressing the load caused by large inventories. Once you see our blog post about it please clear your viewer cache and viewer inventory cache then play a bit with your inventory to see how it behaves.

Please let us know your results after you have done so.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Selby Evans
Your Teacher

Post by Your Teacher »

We seem to have lost our world too. Everyone is stuck and I'm bald with no shoes! Could this be a similar problem?
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Your Teacher,

Can you please specify the name of the world that you are referring to so I can inspect its logs?

Were you all accessing that world from the same network?