Region issues and crash issues

Ask questions about creating worlds, using worlds, etc.
Faye Doff
Has thanked: 0

Region issues and crash issues

Post by Faye Doff »

Dear Mr Tochner, or whomever it may concern;
Hi Faye Doff here with two (2) issues that remain Unresolved.
I clean out my caches, I clean out my pc temp and everything else I'm supposed to clean out.
I go directly to the welcome center with no other history in my viewer and I crash, I go to other kitely locations and I crash.
I do not crash on my own sim, and I can enter those other locations after logging back in after or following a crash.
Again I clean caches and temps and everything everybody suggest I clean and I still crash at kitely locations other than my 16 sim location.
I go to my 4 sim location I crash and it has Nothing on it.
I go to Kitty Steamweavers region and I crash, she has almost nothing on there.
I can explore 20 Plus locations on the grid and not crash or lag except for the initial load and then I'm good.
But I don't even get an initial load in kitely, I just crash.
Visitors to my sim say its laggy, even after I have removed more than Half of the items on my sim, which make it not even worth having the sim, they say it is still laggy, its a little laggy to me, but not much, I have 13 scripts running which use 21.000 at most.
The CPU shows to be at 10.8 yet its laggy for visitors.
What is it supposed to be at?
Handy Low instructed me to lower the Network settings down between WIFI and DSL, said it might make things load slower but might help prevent crashes, it did not help.
Ozwell ask me about details on my graphic card and said it seems fine, not an impressive card but its good enough to handle Virtual worlds, my computer rep tested it and said he can't detect any issues with the graphics card.
Since I can explore the grid without crashes or lag, its obviously not my card, since when I explore 20 plus worlds on the grid I don't stop to clean my caches or temps or change viewers till I know I am about to go back to Kitely, so I clean them and then log out and then log back in to kitely or my own sim, then if I attempt to go to the Kitely Welcome Center I crash.
I tested my virus program, turned it off and went to another location in Kitely and crashed anyway.
So I wonder why.
Perhaps you could troubleshoot this and see if it is something that needs to be adjusted?
As with previous complaints, it has been suggested I take it to the forum where others might be able to help, I am doing so.
I'm sure you're busy with other things and may not even care to take time to deal with this, but if Kitely is Not compatible with my system its possible it isn't compatible with others.
If this isn't a concern of yours, please let me know.
This is a puzzle to me and others, my crashes and my region lag. (two different issues)
Graham Mills

Re: Region issues and crash issues

Post by Graham Mills »

Hi Faye

I don't have a solution for you but I wondered whether you have tried a different viewer such as https://alchemyviewer.org/?
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Faye,

Everything that happens in Kitely is my concern.There are several types of lag: viewer lag (caused by insufficient user computer resources, such as a slow graphics card, not enough memory, etc.); server lag (caused by insufficient server resources); and network lag (caused by slow user ISP connection, slow server network connection, or network congestion between the server and the user's computer).

Kitely runs all its worlds in the Amazon west datacenter on powerful servers that all have a gigabit network connection and a lot of dedicated memory per world. If there is any network lag, our servers are not its cause. The CPU utilization for your world is also low, indicating that the server has sufficient resources to run the world at OpenSim's target FPS. In other words, there is no server derived lag effecting your world.

There are two issues that require investigation regarding your post.

The first is what is causing your viewer to crash while the world remains active (you can see this is the case by viewing the server monitor on your world's World Page or by talking to other people who were logged into your world when your viewer crashed). What I suggest you do to help us help you is the following:

1) Set your viewer graphics settings to Low and see if this makes any difference in your viewer stability. The goal is to see if any of the graphics settings you are currently using are causing your viewer instability.

2) Use the replace outfit feature in the viewer to remove all that your avatar is currently wearing (and all that is currently attached to it) and replace it with the default avatar outfit you got when you created your account (including avatar eyes, hair, skin, shape, etc.). The goal is to see if anything you are wearing is causing you these issues.

The second issue is the lag your world visitors are experiencing in your world. I suggest they set their viewer graphics setting to Low to rule out the higher graphics setting being the issue. If we find that it is the issue then it may indicate that the content you placed in your world contains too much detail for their viewer to run at a reasonable FPS. This may also result from their viewer's using a draw distance that is too high for their hardware in your 16-region world (viewing a big world usually requires rendering more objects at a distance than viewing a small world).

Please run these tests and let me know the results. I would very much like you to enjoy your Kitely worlds and this information can help us find the reasons for your bad experience so far.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Faye,

I'm standing next to you inworld in your world. The log is showing you have been logged into it for more than 4 hours now. Is your viewer still connected to your world or is your avatar ghosted in it?
Faye Doff

Post by Faye Doff »

Hey out there in forum land, I'm writing this to let everybody know that Ilan Tochner came to my region to check what was up with the region, and it seems its all viewer side per visitor.
and this lag the visitors are experiencing is do to a variety of textures, I have too many different trees, and a railing around the welcome seat of Eydis that apparently is creating a lag on visitors graphic cards because the open source that SL and kitely are based on lacks a type of buffer device, it wont keep the textures in memory so it constantly reloads them and in doing so it takes up the memory of the graphic card and this causes lag.
So I'm going to change out the trees and simply copy a load of those already there since before the lag started, (3 weeks ago) and see if that helps.
As for my crashing, its a mystery, but Mr Tocher suggest it is something I'm wearing, I have to change outfits and test more before I can confirm this, but we tested a default avatar that comes with kitely when you first get there, and it worked, the welcome center loaded and I didn't crash, but there is still more testing I need to do in other kitely locations to be sure of this.
Bottom line is that Mr Tocher was pleasant and helped out by explaining everything to me and was there to seek out any issue.
I'd also like to say that Selby was there and was eager to help find any lag causing culprit, so the Kitely family came through again.
Thank you and Many Blessing.
:)
These users thanked the author Faye Doff for the post (total 4):
Graham MillsConstance PeregrineIlan TochnerDot Matrix
Constance Peregrine

Post by Constance Peregrine »

yea, Ilan is nice, but don't get the Evil Overlord going.......(old kitely joking)

I am happy to hear it is going well-)
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Thank you Faye,

To clarify your comments for other readers:

The viewer lag in Faye's world was created due to the large amount of triangles and textures that are used in the world, which make it hard for graphics cards to render them at decent frame rates on most people's computers. The result of the high number of textures and different objects high-triangle-count objects causes GPU thrashing, GPU Thrashing is when the graphics card doesn't have enough memory to keep all the objects and textures it needs to render each frame in memory and therefore needs to constantly replace what it stores in memory to render each frame. This significantly slows down the speed at which it can render each frame. Modern game engines do what is called texture atlasing and batching to reduce the amount of memory and draw calls required to render each frame but SL-derived viewers sadly lack this capability.

The way to work around this is to make sure you use optimized meshes instead of prims and sculpties and to reduce the amount of textures used in the world by reusing the same textures (with the same UUIDs) in multiple places instead of using different texture UUIDs for each object type. This reduces the triangle count and the amount of textures the viewer needs to handle and thus increases the viewer FPS people get.

As for her replacing her outfit solving the problem of logging into certain worlds, sometimes your avatar can get to a state when there are invisible attachments or corrupt objects connected to it which cause issues. By doing a Replace Outfit you force a detaching of those problematic attachments/objects and thus rid yourselves of the issues they create. You wear the default avatar and then replace it one item at a time until you are either wearing everything you want without issues or you find the object which is creating the problem.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 3):
Graham MillsDot MatrixBarnard Smith
Faye Doff

Post by Faye Doff »

Yes, Exactly what Ilan Tochner just said :D
I think its what I said, only not as confusing :geek:
These users thanked the author Faye Doff for the post:
Ilan Tochner