History Month in August

Current and upcoming events
Serene Jewell

History Month in August

Post by Serene Jewell »

The idea of a medieval month on Kitely in July was mentioned at the community meeting on Sunday. So what do folks think about it? We clearly have some creators here who specialize in medieval. It could be fun to dress up, partake in some sword fighting or archery, learn a little history, maybe go on a quest.

What think you, my lords and ladies?
Last edited by Serene Jewell on Sun May 15, 2016 10:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
These users thanked the author Serene Jewell for the post (total 8):
Ilan TochnerShandon LoringGraham MillsDot MatrixOzwell WayfarerFreda FrostbiteJames Atlloud 2Karima Hoisan
Graham Mills

Re: Medieval Month

Post by Graham Mills »

Well, I think it's a great idea and am happy to take part even as only an enthusiastic amateur at matters historical. The only slight concerns I might have is that it should (i) make a positive attempt to reflect a global perspective and (ii) maybe extend the timeframe a little or, indeed, a lot, i.e. history month rather than medieval month. I have a vested interest in the latter but there are several worlds I can think of that would then come into play without a lot of additional effort. Even so, I am happy to support medieval month if that's the preferred way forward.

This might also be an opportunity to attract hypergrid traffic and maybe raise funds for good causes.
These users thanked the author Graham Mills for the post (total 3):
Dot MatrixSerene JewellSelby Evans
Ozwell Wayfarer

Post by Ozwell Wayfarer »

how could I NOT like that idea :)

I also like Grahams idea of "History Month". You could also do Fantasy Month too. Both have a lot of scope for involvement.

Everything is still a bit up in the air for me. I probably could not do much to help organize anything, but give me enough notice and I can most likely help out with content.
These users thanked the author Ozwell Wayfarer for the post (total 3):
Freda Frostbite

Post by Freda Frostbite »

I'd be willing to organize some literary activities to go with the theme. There would be a lot of great literature to choose from. There's everything from Canterbury Tales to St. Hildegarde Von Bingen to the Alexander Romances. I'd be willing to do some readings and get others to do some readings (Maybe the folks at Seanchai have already volunteered to do this?) . I am not up to doing a build suitable for it, but would be happy to have event(s) at other folks' medeival builds. I am actually thinking there is enough material from mystics of the period to do something in a period cathedral or church that focuses on those writings.

I also know a guy in SL who does period music live. We could probably get him to come to Kitely and perform if y'all want me to ask him.
These users thanked the author Freda Frostbite for the post (total 3):
Serene Jewell

Post by Serene Jewell »

History month does make a lot of sense. Would give more folks a chance to participate. And more specific time period events could happen down the line. Changing the title of this topic to "History Month."

Love the idea of the music and readings.
These users thanked the author Serene Jewell for the post (total 4):
Freda FrostbiteDot MatrixGraham MillsAda Radius
Serene Jewell

Re: History Month in July

Post by Serene Jewell »

I could donate a region to be a kind of hub with links to regions that want to participate. Does that make sense? Maybe some posterboards organized chronologically?
These users thanked the author Serene Jewell for the post (total 3):
Graham MillsFreda FrostbiteAda Radius
Ada Radius

Post by Ada Radius »

When are you thinking of doing it? I'm on overload right now with stuff, but this is right up my, and New Media Arts' alley.
Ada
Serene Jewell wrote:History month does make a lot of sense. Would give more folks a chance to participate. And more specific time period events could happen down the line. Changing the title of this topic to "History Month."

These users thanked the author Ada Radius for the post (total 2):
Selby EvansSerene Jewell
Freda Frostbite

Post by Freda Frostbite »

Sounds awesome to me, Serene. Anyone who wants me to host period readings on their period sim, let me know once we have dates set for this thing.
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

Serene will confirm but I believe she was thinking in terms of July.

Best wishes

Graham

Ada Radius wrote:When are you thinking of doing it? I'm on overload right now with stuff, but this is right up my, and New Media Arts' alley.
Ada
Serene Jewell wrote:History month does make a lot of sense. Would give more folks a chance to participate. And more specific time period events could happen down the line. Changing the title of this topic to "History Month."

Ozwell Wayfarer

Post by Ozwell Wayfarer »

Besides my medieval stuff, I have a small Amphitheater (big enough for about 40 avis) and some Greco-Roman stuff I could contribute. Could be useful for the thespians here :)

I dont think I can put on an entire new region, but the Worlds End Showroom has spare space I can contribute, besides having a huge castle and medieval village that could be used for something. I could definitely fit in the theater and some classical stuff somewhere.
These users thanked the author Ozwell Wayfarer for the post:
Serene Jewell