History Month in August

Current and upcoming events
Freda Frostbite

Re: History Month in August

Post by Freda Frostbite »

UPDATED EVENTS SCHEDULE FOR HISTORY MONTH

Music Events
8/07 -- 9 AM Grid Time, Ghaelen Dlareh Speaks About Sacred Music: Late Ancient to High Medieval (Cookie II)
8/14 -- 12 Noon Grid Time, Kitely History Fest: Wald Schridde, LIVE MUSIC (History Month World)
8/28 -- 9 AM Grid Time, Bach to Tchaikiovsky, Masters of the Baroque to Classical Periods In Short Forms. Freda Frostbite, presenting. (Cookie II)

Literary Events
8/5 -- 1:00 PM Grid Time, Historical Flash Fiction Writing Workshop, (History Month World)
8/6 -- 4:00 PM Grid Time, Aliens, Eden and Eridu: A History of One Civilization (First City Eridu)
8/07 -- 10:30 AM Grid Time, Ravyn Reads From Canterbury Tales (RISA IV)
8/07 -- 12:00 PM Grid Time, Several Millenia of Poetry In Under An Hour (Looking for a location. Could be at Babble Arts Center but would rather have at a historical site)
8/12 -- 1:00 PM Grid Time, Writing Poetry In Historical Forms (History Month World)
8/14 -- 10:30 AM Grid Time, Joan of Arc in Literature and Drama (DeLandria Rising)
8/19 -- 1:00 PM Grid Time, Historical Flash Fiction Writing Workshop, (History Month World)
8/21 -- 10:30 AM Grid Time, French Historical Poetry (Kingdom of Florin) Fanny Burney presents.
8/21 -- 12:00 Noon Grid Time, Babble Bookers will discuss Down and Out in Paris and London by George Orwell (Babble Cafe and Book shop)
8/ 26 -- 1:00 PM Grid Time, Writing Poetry In Historical Forms (History Month World)

Dances
All Tuesdays in August -- 1:00 PM Grid Time Dances (at RISA IV)
All Thursdays in August -- 1:00 PM Grid Time Historically Themed Dance Parties (at The History Month World)
The Grand Ball
The Grand Ball will be held August 28 at 11:00 AM Grid Time at The Kingdom of Florin. Dress for any historical period, though the sim is 18th century France. The musical stream and dances will be appropriate to the period. We believe there will be historical costumes available on site that day for any who wish to dress for the occasion.
These users thanked the author Freda Frostbite for the post (total 4):
Ilan TochnerDot MatrixGraham MillsSerene Jewell
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

For anyone looking for historical images or maybe considering curating a small gallery on a historical topic, this is a useful starting point:

http://sarahwerner.net/blog/early-moder ... llections/

which I came across while reading the author's blog:

http://sarahwerner.net/blog/2016/07/loo ... llections/
These users thanked the author Graham Mills for the post (total 2):
Freda FrostbiteSerene Jewell
Freda Frostbite

Events Update--

Music Events Thus Far Scheduled:

8/07 -- 9 AM Grid Time, Ghaelen Dlareh Speaks About Sacred Music: Late Ancient to High Medieval (Cookie II)
8/14 -- 12 Noon Grid Time, Kitely History Fest: Wald Schridde, LIVE MUSIC (History Month World)
8/28 -- 9 AM Grid Time, Bach to Tchaikiovsky, Masters of the Baroque to Classical Periods In Short Forms. Freda Frostbite, presenting. (Cookie II)

Literary Events Thus Far Scheduled:
8/6 -- 4:00 PM Grid Time, Aliens, Eden and Eridu: A History of One Civilization. (First City Eridu)
8/07 -- 10:30 AM Grid Time, Ravyn Reads From Canterbury Tales (RISA IV)
8/07 -- 12:00 PM Grid Time, Several Millenia of Poetry In Under An Hour (History Month Sim)
8/14 -- 10:30 AM Grid Time, Carl Theodor Dreyer: The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928), silent film. Please have Quicktime installed on your computer and media enabled in your browser. (DeLandria Rising)
8/21 -- 10:30 AM Grid Time, French Historical Poetry (Kingdom of Florin) Fanny Burney presents.
8/21 -- 12:00 Noon Grid Time, Babble Bookers will discuss Down and Out in Paris and

Dances
All Tuesdays in August -- 1:00 PM Grid Time Dances at RISA IV
All Thursdays in August -- 1:00 PM Grid Time Historically Themed Dance Parties (History Month Sim)

The Grand Ball
The Grand Ball will be held August 28 at 11:00 AM Grid Time at The Kingdom of Florin. Dress for any historical period, though the sim is 18th century France. The musical stream and dances will be appropriate to the period. We believe there will be historical costumes available on site that day for any who wish to dress for the occasion.
These users thanked the author Freda Frostbite for the post (total 7):
Don SmithSelby EvansIlan TochnerGraham MillsDot MatrixSerene JewellLiz Falconer
Ghaelen DLareh

Post by Ghaelen DLareh »

Hi all,

We're getting the History Month Hub region ready, and among other things are adding walk-through teleporters to take folks right to the region they're interested in visiting if they don't have (or aren't using) the LM HUD yet.

To do this, I need Landmarks. If you have a region that's participating, or have LM of a region, please pass it to me inworld. If you aren't friends with me, I hope I can prevail on Freda and Serene to let you send your LM to them and they will send them on to me. The LMs have the x,y,z coordinates of your region - website urls don't.

Please indicate which week you are in :)

I'll add a portal to your region as I get your info and will keep adding them during the first week.

Thanks!
These users thanked the author Ghaelen DLareh for the post (total 4):
Don SmithGraham MillsSelby EvansSerene Jewell
A Curative Poison (a metaverse story)

De Landria Rising Market

The De Landria Project
Selby Evans

Post by Selby Evans »

My History Month display will consist of posters presenting articles about History month displays. As such, it won't have much content until well into August. So I won't be promoting it till then.

Meanwhile, though, it has some content that may be of interest to people working on History Month. Here is the location:

hop://grid.kitely.com:8002/Creative Collaborators/135/128/26

Three history-related webwalks:

History web links. Web links to places that focus on history. No specific connection to virtual worlds, but you may want to look at those sites and think about posting in some of them.

History in virtual worlds. Some previous history presentations in virtual worlds.

History on the HG (in work) Some previous history presentations on the hypergrid.
These users thanked the author Selby Evans for the post (total 3):
Don SmithGraham MillsSerene Jewell
Freda Frostbite

The first History Month Dance Will be this Friday at 1:00 PM at the history Month Island. Throughout the month we'll be exploring historically significant concept albums, starting on August 4 with Queen's A Night At The Opera.
These users thanked the author Freda Frostbite for the post (total 2):
Don SmithSerene Jewell
Serene Jewell

Post by Serene Jewell »

The History Month region is open! :D

What would a project be without last minute changes? ;) We've changed the name of the region from History Month to History Hub. That way, any landmarks given out will still work long after History Month is over and we can continue to evolve this project in the future. History lovers try to think long term!

You can still add your region any time in August.
We feature a different time period each week, but you can add a region for any time up to 1914 at any point in the month. Works in progress are welcome! So far we have 23 destinations. If you want to participate just drop your landmark on Serene Jewell.

If you are on an social media, feel free to spread the word. Info and updates are here. http://www.signofthekite.com/history_month

Address is hop://grid.kitely.com:8002/History Hub/128/128/23
or just put History Hub in your map
These users thanked the author Serene Jewell for the post (total 5):
Ilan TochnerSelby EvansGraham MillsConstance PeregrineRuby O'Degee
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

I'm hoping to post an image a day during History Month. The first few are here: https://alpha.app.net/hashtags/historymonth. Necropolis is open now but will recur in week 4 when Age of Steam also opens.
These users thanked the author Graham Mills for the post:
Liz Falconer
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

Massive kudos to all involved in putting the History Hub together -- great job!
These users thanked the author Graham Mills for the post:
Liz Falconer
Serene Jewell

Post by Serene Jewell »

Massive thanks to the crew on the History Hub, it's really coming together!

The History Hub region is a collaboration of Ghaelen D'Lareh (most of the gates), Dot Matrix (landscaping), Ruby O'Degee (The HUD and Giver), Don Smith (that beautiful Ishtar gate and the greek dance floor), Graham Mills (thoughtfulness and common sense,) and Serene Jewell (everything else.)

Dot's landscaping over the past few days has turned the hub into a "place" where it had been more of a collection of "things." Thanks, Dot!

I had persistent problem with the Week 2 gates yesterday. The teleport scripts just wouldn’t work! Turned out there was an extra copy of the script in a different part of the linkset. Even after taking it out and resetting scripts I had to wait until the world shut down and rebooted before the scripts would work. I’m learning a lot. :)
These users thanked the author Serene Jewell for the post (total 3):
Graham MillsLiz FalconerRuby O'Degee