Textures not staying on prims

Ask questions about creating worlds, using worlds, etc.
Don Smith

Textures not staying on prims

Post by Don Smith »

Hello. I am having an issue with some prims where via edit window i apply a texture, I see the texture on the prim, the texture window says its on there, then when i press done, it reverts to the previous texture. I 1st thought it might be a viewer problem, but it is not, I asked Ozwell to come over and help me check it, he verified its a real problem. I would like to find a solution to this problem, replacing the prim with a new one had no effect, the new one also would not take a texture change. Even creating a new prim with the same properties has the same problem. I even tried editing the texture to very small and 1 x 1 repeats on the surface to ensure it wasnt a problem with the texture. Its got to be something to do with the connection to kitely and or its servers. < at least that is my best guess >

Any advice or helpful comments are appreciated. Is anyone else having a similar issue? ... Thanks.
Ilan Tochner

Re: Textures not staying on prims

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Don,

Have you tried this with another texture? One that you successfully applied to a prim in Kitely in the past?

Have you cleared both your viewer cache and viewer inventory cache?
Don Smith

Post by Don Smith »

Hi. Yes, I and Ozwell both tried different textures we have both used on other prims. I clear my caches often.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

When you clear your cache do you clear both your viewer cache and viewer inventory cache? (it's important to clear both)
Don Smith

Post by Don Smith »

Yes, I clear them often.

I also made several prims and placed the textures on each one, no problems at all on the boxes, only on the surfaces of the problem prims. I imported it first, then i re created it from scratch to see if that made any difference and it does not, same problem on the different prims, shaped like a big tree ribbon. No problems on the texturing of the boxes using the same textures.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

What viewers (and versions) have you tried this with?

Have you tried texturing this prim in other regions, for example the Kitely Merchants Sandbox?
Don Smith

Post by Don Smith »

Hello.
I have had this problem once before with the previous version of firestorm,< but i didnt report it > I am now using the latest version of firestorm. I will log in shortly and attempt the texturing using singularity and or alchemy viewers. I will also try to texture the item in the sandbox and possibly on another grid, to test and report back here, thank you.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Thank you Don, I look forward to your update.
Don Smith

Post by Don Smith »

Ok here's what i did and the results. I logged in with singularity, the problem was identical at my sim as with firestorm. So i went to the kitely merchant sandbox and tried it again. The problem was identical. So i logged out and back in using alchemy viewer. Surprising results, the problem still persists, however it was following a predictable pattern this time, If i applied a texture to a surface, it reverts to the previous texture applied, not just going default wood or one of the other textures i tried on it. So i was able to do the following to get what i needed on the prims in question. I applied the texture i wanted, aligned it, then i would click a different texture and press Done, it would instantly revert back to the texture i wanted on it. This allowed me to get the textures on the prims i wanted, but was very annoyingly hard to do so.
I would like to find out what this problem is and get it fixed asap. its a HUGE hindrance to trying to build anything. please advise.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Getting different results with different viewers indicates that the viewers are sending different data to the server. The server can only save the changes it is actually instructed to save (changes to prims are done on your viewer before they are sent to the server). My suspicion is that all the viewers you tested have some error checking code that detects some issue with the texture you're try to apply but that Firestrom and Singularity have different error handling code than Alchemy.

Please rezz the prim with the texture you want using the workaround you found then leave one copy in your world and take another copy into your inventory. Once that's done clear both your viewer cache and viewer inventory cache and reenter that world. Does the prim still have the desired texture? If you rezz the copy you have in your inventory does that still have the desired texture as well?

If your workaround using Alchemy causes the texture to be saved it means that the server doesn't have a problem saving that data and returning it to the viewer when it is actually instructed to do so. In that case I'd recommend you contact the viewer developers and report the problem to them.