Megaregion??

Ask questions about creating worlds, using worlds, etc.
Shandon Loring

Megaregion??

Post by Shandon Loring »

Sorry for noob questions...
It's been awhile since we've resized any of our regions.

Have just expanded a 2x2 to 3x3
I'd like to upload certain terrain files to only a certain one of the 9 regions on our new 3x3

It seems like in the past that I would go into Manage World, change to NOT Megaregion, upload my .raw terrain to wherever I wanted it (simply by standing on the region i wanted updated), and then go back to Manage World and change it back to Megaregion.

I don't see Megaregion as an option anymore, so I'm guessing we've moved to Varregions now? (seems like i read something about that)

Anyway... how do I now apply a 1x1 terrain file to a specific region of my new 3x3 world?

Thanks all!!
Ilan Tochner

Re: Megaregion??

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Shandon,

Yes, Kitely switched to using VarRegions for worlds bigger than 1 region in size more than a year ago. See: https://www.kitely.com/virtual-world-ne ... arregions/

As VarRegions are basically one big region you need to upload a RAW file that is in the appropriate resolution for that world's land area. To change just a 1-region part of a VarRegion world first export the world to a RAW file, load it into an image editing program, change the part of the image that corresponds to the area you wish to change then save as a RAW file in the appropriate resolution and upload that into your world.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Chris Namaste
Shandon Loring

Post by Shandon Loring »

Thank you Ilan
i thought i remembered something like that. Cool!

Anybody have suggestions for appropriate image editing software for dealing with .raw files effectively?
Using Corel Paint Shop Pro X8 at the moment, but have not worked with .raw files at all, if PSP even handles it.

thanks all
These users thanked the author Shandon Loring for the post (total 2):
Ilan TochnerChris Namaste
Mike Lorrey

Post by Mike Lorrey »

There needs to be a good tutorial on this that has actually been tested. I've tried using other tutorials online with PSP and Photoshop PS2, and neither one seemed to open the files correctly.
Shandon Loring

Post by Shandon Loring »

that's been my experience so far as well.. but i thought it was just me..
I'll google around and if i succeed I'll try to distill what I learn and post it.

I'm motivated though, we finally expanded Seanchai from 2x2 to 3x3 and I want to play with the Terra, but not all of it by hand.. not even with a bulldozer!

thx all
These users thanked the author Shandon Loring for the post:
Ilan Tochner
Kayaker Magic

Post by Kayaker Magic »

Come talk to me Shandon, I am working on several new tools for terraforming. I'm also not fond of doing it by hand but that means I am motivated to write scripts to do it for me! As you might have seen in the Kitely Market I have a bunch of Fractal psuedo-random terrain islands. I have a way to generate terrain like that which exactly matches up from region to region. I'm about to release islands build from cubic curves (think rolling hills instead of craggy mountains). And to go along with the bulldozer I'm scripting Dynamite, a tool that blasts holes in your terrain! (With particle effects of course).

I also did some work recently grabbing heightmap data from opensource locations like www.terrain.party and converting them into in-world terrain. I have a written procedure for how to do that. But it works by painting the terrain as a grayscale map in GIMP. (Photoshop is a verb, it is what I do to images in GIMP). Then you have to load the terrain from the PNG file in Sim-On-A-Stick before you can save it as a RAW file. this allows grabbing familiar looking terrain out of the real world, but it is low resolution on several axes. Including stair-steps in height.
These users thanked the author Kayaker Magic for the post:
Keith Selmes