large hollowed out prim

Building using prims, sculpties and meshes. Texture creation techniques.
Jay Farquart

large hollowed out prim

Post by Jay Farquart »

Hi all!
i made a large hollowed out prim to use as a sky surround around a platform, however, unlike other grids, when i do it here on Kitely, it acts like an old style sculpt whereas, it makes me walk in the air rather on the platform that i put at the bottom of the hollowed out prim (surround).
the only way that i can walk "on" the platform is to make the prim surround phantom, but that kind of defeats the purpose of having the surround as privacy and the surround also prevents me from walking or driving off the edge of the platform...lol.
maybe i am doing something wrong with the big hollowed out prim as a surround, but, i've made this thing on numerous other grids and never encountered this condition before.
Thx in advance for any help!
the same old me as in all other virtual worlds :)
Ilan Tochner

Re: large hollowed out prim

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Jay,

What physics engine are you using for this world? (you can change it in the Advanced tab of that world's Manage World dialog, which you open by clicking the Manage link in your My Worlds page)
Jay Farquart

Post by Jay Farquart »

Ilan Tochner wrote:Hi Jay,

What physics engine are you using for this world? (you can change it in the Advanced tab of that world's Manage World dialog, which you open by clicking the Manage link in your My Worlds page)
Hi Ilan...
thx for the fast reply, and i have no idea what physics type is enabled on the friends land where i am building the big surround thing, and i dont even know if you meant that it would be land defined or user/viewer defined.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Please ask the friend to open his or her My Worlds page (on our website) and then click the Manage link in that page to open his or her world's Manage World dialog. In the Advanced tab of that dialog he or she will be able to see and change the physics engine that his or her world is currently using.
Jay Farquart

Post by Jay Farquart »

Ilan Tochner wrote:Please ask the friend to open his or her My Worlds page (on our website) and then click the Manage link in that page to open his or her world's Manage World dialog. In the Advanced tab of that dialog he or she will be able to see and change the physics engine that his or her world is currently using.
thx (again) Ilan...
so it is set via the land owners dashboard.
can you briefly describe what the types are and the differences?
which would work best to resolve the issue i'm seeing with my hollowed out prim?
sorry to be such bother :/
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

NP, no harm in asking.

The currently supported physics engines are ODE and BulletSim. It's very like your friend's world is currently using BulletSim, I'd recommend he or she change that to ODE.
Jay Farquart

Post by Jay Farquart »

ok, thanks again.
i will do some research about the differences between the 2 (ODE versus Bullet),
because i think mine and my friends vehicles are tuned for Bullet (and i'm NO scripter to be able to re-tune them or ODE...lol)