Best viewer for open sim?

Ask questions about using viewers to enter worlds, and problems with viewers
Elbereth Elentari 2

Best viewer for open sim?

Post by Elbereth Elentari 2 »

Hello folks,

I'd like some opinions on which viewer people prefer using on open sim.

I'm currently using Alchemy, but since the recent update, can't hypergrid anymore.
Not sure whether Firestorm or Singularity better serves my needs (stability, photography, building)

Any ideas?
These users thanked the author Elbereth Elentari 2 for the post:
Ilan Tochner
Selby Evans

Re: Best viewer for open sim?

Post by Selby Evans »

I have tried several and conclude that Firestorm is clearly the best. With the new Alchemy I could not edit scripts I had written in Firestorm.
These users thanked the author Selby Evans for the post (total 2):
Ilan TochnerGenavieve Page
Elbereth Elentari 2

Thanks Selby.
Seems Alchemy-new is causing others problems too. Shame, as I do like Alchemy, but there is little point being in open sim if I can't hypergrid anymore!
Louis-Francis De_Beauharnois

Post by Louis-Francis De_Beauharnois »

I'm also a big fan of Alchemy and the last update bring troubles when teleporting I did mention on their JIRA. however I may not have been explicit enough they didn't understood the issue.. I have the same issue also with Script editing on rezzed object, but you could edit Script that are in your inventory and save them.... For the hypergrid problem it happen in Kitely when being teleport from the waiting sim to the requested sim, also most of the time you can still teleport if you try to teleport again next to the fail.

A good news is Firestorm latest update made it a bit better and a bit more fast... but the graphics are still far from Alchemy, so I build in Firestorm and play in Alchemy.
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

I used Alchemy for teaching this year and was generally pleased with the outcome in terms of its being reasonably robust and easy to use. It also has the advantage that it will run from a shared network folder without the need for any special network install. I haven't done much with the latest version although it does seem to support hypergrid OK.

I also use Firestorm quite a lot for development.
Louis-Francis De_Beauharnois

Post by Louis-Francis De_Beauharnois »

Not sure this is the right place for me to write this but I reported the Script not saving issue on Alchemy JIRA and here is the answer I got:

https://alchemy.atlassian.net/browse/ALCH-560

Cinder Biscuits added a comment - 1 hour ago
This is a bug in OpenSim's LLSD implementation. It has been fixed in OpenSim 0.9-HEAD.

Also I don't have strong knowledge of Opensim structure and viewer programming so if anyone know more feel free to post comments on the JIRA to help solve the issue.

here is the post of the Teleport issue :
https://alchemy.atlassian.net/browse/ALCH-512
These users thanked the author Louis-Francis De_Beauharnois for the post:
Selby Evans
Elbereth Elentari 2

Thank you Louis and Graham for your input. I uninstalled Alchemy after a last try with hypergridding yesterday and installed Firestorm. Funny getting used to that interface again (can't find a darn thing!), but it works a dream, so I guess I'll have to stay with it for now.

Many thanks again.

Louis: I've chatted to several people over the last few days about the Alchemy update and all of them were experiencing problems. As Alchemy is not so quick on patches, not sure if any of the problems we are all experiencing will be attended too in the near future. Everything worked fine with the old version of Alchemy and it seems strange for them to expect all grids to adopt OpenSim 0.9-HEAD simply to accomodate their viewer update.
These users thanked the author Elbereth Elentari 2 for the post:
Selby Evans