something is off in physics

Building using prims, sculpties and meshes. Texture creation techniques.
Serendipity Seraph

something is off in physics

Post by Serendipity Seraph »

On one of my worlds (Seren's World) something is odd about the physics. I created a large platform and flew over and landed. Sank into it. So I got off and made it physical and that worked except for it wiggling a bit. Turned off physical and it worked. Then I did a cut on the square to make it instead a half square triangle. To my surprise my avatar is at the height of the platform for the missing cut section as well as the part still there. This is very strange. Anyone seen such? No how to fix it? And yes I tried with two different viewers (Firestorm and Singularity). Same thing.
Ilan Tochner

Re: something is off in physics

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Serendipity,

First, I would highly advise against making a platform Physical when what you want is for it to be non-Phantom. Walking on Physical objects can create a LOT of server load, especially when multiple avatars are doing so.

Regarding the problem you encountered, is your world set to use the ODE of BulletSim physics engine? (you can check in the Advanced tab of that world's Manage World dialog).
Graham Mills

Re: something is off in physics

Post by Graham Mills »

Serendipity Seraph wrote:On one of my worlds (Seren's World) something is odd about the physics. I created a large platform and flew over and landed. Sank into it. So I got off and made it physical and that worked except for it wiggling a bit. Turned off physical and it worked. Then I did a cut on the square to make it instead a half square triangle. To my surprise my avatar is at the height of the platform for the missing cut section as well as the part still there. This is very strange. Anyone seen such? No how to fix it? And yes I tried with two different viewers (Firestorm and Singularity). Same thing.
I just tried this on a low prim (1260 prims) 2x2 world using ODE, 50x50x0.5m platform at 100m and everything worked as it should first time.

I then tried it on a 42K prim 3x3 world with the platform at 550m, again using ODE. I used tp2cam to move to it and had a similar physics glitch to the one you describe. The problem, however, was temporary and I was unable to replicate it by creating further platform prims from the build dialog or by shift-copy so I didn't/couldn't explore further. The original platform became able to support my avatar without further intervention.

Personally I'd be inclined to shrug and put it down to some form of latency but it would be interesting to have further detail of your experience and whether you could replicate it.

PS: I would add, however, that the physics glitch on the high prim world caused the avatar to fall through several platforms, not just the one recently created.
These users thanked the author Graham Mills for the post:
Ilan Tochner