naming regions on 3x3 separately?

Ask questions about creating worlds, using worlds, etc.
Alexina Proctor

naming regions on 3x3 separately?

Post by Alexina Proctor »

It has been nearly a year since we have done anything much on Kitely or any grid. We are closing down the Sendalonde Community Library on InWorldz - after 5 years. We are going to try to bring it to Kitely. The architect/builder, Strand Starsider_2 on Kitely, is going to see if he can get it set up on Kitely. I created a world called "Sendalonde". It is a 3x3 premium world. (We have grandfathered gold accounts.) Things have changed since I last tried setting up worlds.

There used to be a button to separate the regions temporarily to upload separate terrain files or do other per region work.

1. Can we still somehow load raw terrain files individually to each region? I was able to download only a single region raw terrain from IW and I put that on the corner of a 2x2. Then I expanded the 2x2 to a 3x3 to get Sendalonde (the one that is terraformed) to the center.

2. Can I rename each region in the 3x3 or does it all need to be called Sendalonde?

Background:
Prax Maryjasz and I are back. It took a long time to move from California to Washington state, recover, and then Prax had surgery for breast cancer in May. She has mostly healed and is cancer free. Now that we are getting some energy back, we are going to start doing a little bit in virtual worlds. We have only enough energy for one grid: Kitely. We like it here. A lot of our friends are here.
--Alexina Proctor
Co-founder with Prax Maryjasz of Sendalonde Community Library
Library: hop://grid.kitely.com:8002/Wellspring
https://virtualpeers.com/
Constance Peregrine

Re: naming regions on 3x3 separately?

Post by Constance Peregrine »

Welcome back Alex and Prax ♥

I am happy to hear Prax is better and you as well. You are both such wonderful people.

Others will give you the official word, but right off the major change is that there are no longer megaregions and there are varregions. Vars are better in many ways to megas but in this part there is more that needs to be done to get what you may want.

regards
These users thanked the author Constance Peregrine for the post:
Alexina Proctor
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Alexina Proctor

Thank you. You were always such a great help to us. Good to see you are still in Kitely. I find i need to relearn some things after being away so long. Thanks for reminding me about var regions.

Cheers,
Alex
--Alexina Proctor
Constance Peregrine

Alexina Proctor wrote:Thank you. You were always such a great help to us. Good to see you are still in Kitely. I find i need to relearn some things after being away so long. Thanks for reminding me about var regions.

Cheers,
Alex
I think you can use the move or whatever it's called tool in your world management page. So, for example, you could save the terrain as an OAR/backup, then upload it then move it where you want on the 3x3. I never used it as I only ever had the free region some time back.

Yes, you can save a terrain as an OAR...so I guess you could bring any of your terrains from IW saved individually, then upload them, save the OAR, then do the others and then upload the OARS and place them where you want them.

I guess the other folx are busy

I'm around but not really lol. I have mostly quit ♥♥♥

Ephemeral wanderer...
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Alexina,

Great to have you back :-)

The tool Constance is referring to is: https://www.kitely.com/virtual-world-ne ... ical-tool/

However, it won't help you in this case as you can't upload an OAR file to replace only a part of a Kitely world. When you upload an OAR file into Kitely it replaces the entire world.

The way to get your regions from Inworldz into a single Kitely world is to either export them from Inworldz in one multi-region OAR file or combine then outside Kitely then export that as a multi-region, megaregion or VarRegion OAR file. You can then upload that single OAR file into Kitely and it will be automatically converted to be a VarRegion.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Alexina Proctor
Alexina Proctor

Thank you, Ilan. You are always very clear and I like that you go the extra step with information on a workaround.

Now I understand and know what I have to do. I guess for now I will manually terraform. It is one of my favorite things to do, but I was trying to save time. When I get time, I will learn how to set up virtual world software on my Mac and then learn how to put together various saved single regions into a multi-region.

Glad to be back.
These users thanked the author Alexina Proctor for the post:
Ilan Tochner
--Alexina Proctor
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

If you have the separate RAW files then you can also merge those using a texture editing program into a single higher resolution texture matching the resolution of the new VarRegion (so for a 3x3 region sized VarRegion you'd need to create a 768 x 768 pixel texture). Just make sure you save the texture in the correct file format for a RAW file (just as you would a 256 x 256 pixel RAW file).

You should then be able to use that single big RAW file texture in the viewer to replace the terrain of the entire VarRegion in one go.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Alexina Proctor
Alexina Proctor

Wow! Sounds really simple and exciting. I may give that a try this weekend.
Ilan Tochner wrote:If you have the separate RAW files then you can also merge those using a texture editing program into a single higher resolution texture matching the resolution of the new VarRegion (so for a 3x3 region sized VarRegion you'd need to create a 768 x 768 pixel texture). Just make sure you save the texture in the correct file format for a RAW file (just as you would a 256 x 256 pixel RAW file).

You should then be able to use that single big RAW file texture in the viewer to replace the terrain of the entire VarRegion in one go.
--Alexina Proctor
Constance Peregrine

Ah yes, I didn't think on that well enough :oops:

Ephemeral wanderer...
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

You get points for helping out just the same Constance :-)
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 2):
Alexina ProctorConstance Peregrine