Speaking of Inventory...

Ask questions about using viewers to enter worlds, and problems with viewers
Kira Whitehawk 2

Speaking of Inventory...

Post by Kira Whitehawk 2 »

I appear to have lost a large number of storage boxes from my inventory. Do we have a way to roll back inventories or retrieving items gone missing?
Ilan Tochner

Re: Speaking of Inventory...

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Kira,

Please log into a Ktiely world then clear both your viewer cache and viewer inventory cache.

After you do so, please check your inventory's "Lost and Found" and Trash folders for the missing items.

Please note that your each inventory folder will only display the first 1000 items it contains. If a folder includes more than that you'll need to move some items to another folder (or subfolder) so that the viewer will retrieve additional items for display. See: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1050

It also isn't uncommon for people to accidentally move items between folders using drag and drop. If the aforementioned steps didn't help then try looking for the missing items in other folders.

Lastly, if the items where bought from Kitely Market with copy permissions then we can redeliver them to your inventory.
Kira Whitehawk 2

Thank you Iian, I started the process of opening each folder last night after reading about that on the forum. I have under 10k items in inventory and there were perhaps 200 storage boxes in one folder that are missing.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

What were these boxes called? Please give me an exact name as an example and the exact folder path it was stored in?
Kira Whitehawk 2

Ian...
Boxes were all labeled STORAGE : ITEM. So an examples would be STORAGE : LANDSCAPING, STORAGE : VEHICLES, etc.

Path: Inventory > Objects > Folder titled Storage.

As an added note, I was just now going through my inventory folder by folder, and had started creating new storage boxes so I could tidy as I went. Wyldwood shut down, Kith and I both crashed, logged back in to the transfer station, and the 4 storage boxes I was working on are now gone and not in my inventory. I'm going to try relogging.
Kira Whitehawk 2

The mystery thickens. After I crashed, relogged to the transfer station, and found the 4 boxes missing, I cleared cache and relogged. The boxes are still gone and not in inventory. Also, the boxes I had salvaged this morning, and rezzed out alphabetically on my work plat or no longer in that order, and the 30 empty boxes I rezzed to start rebulding my inventory no longer exist on the platform or in inventory. So that's another approximately 40 items that have disappeared in the past 10 minutes. This has happened before, but not to this degree.
Kira Whitehawk 2

Sorry to keep this going, but we just discovered that the items Kith has been working on this morning have disappeared, and modifications he made have reverted. It's like we had a rollback. The problem is, my inventory didn't rollback too, so the items I removed from inventory and put in storage boxes are wherever those missing boxes went. Okay, I will stop with the whining and wait to hear back from you.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

The entire server which hosted your world crashed, apparently before OpenSim persisted the boxes to local storage, so that could explain why the rezzed items were gone. Basically when you restarted your world, the world was using a stored world state prior to the server crash, one that didn't include the rezzed items.

However, that doesn't explain items disappearing from your inventory. What can explain you not seeing the items in your inventory is that your Objects folder has more than 1000 items in it, which is why you aren't seeing some of them in your viewer. Please move items from that folder into a subdirectory then clear your viewer inventory cache and restart your viewer. You should then see items in that folder which you can't currently see.
Kira Whitehawk 2

I give :|
I created 10 Object Folders and redistributed the items in my main Objects Folder. I moved them out of the Main Objects Folder for good measure. Cleared viewer cache and relogged. I did gain 125 items as counted in my inventory window. I believe these are items I had moved to the rezzed boxes that I no longer have. No Storage Boxes have appeared.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Kira,

By searching our entire inventory and assets systems we've found that (A) there are only 3 items using your naming convention in your inventory and (B) that there are quite a few such assets in our asset system with your avatars (from Kitely and from Genesis Metaverse) as creators.

We'll need to create a new tool to automatically create items in your inventory that reference those stored assets. We'll do so tomorrow so, hopefully, we'll be able to restore those items to your inventory soon.

One thing I must say though is that filling your inventory with boxes that contain a lot of other items is a sure way to slow down your inventory significantly. Each such item takes a lot longer to download to your inventory than an inventory folder that contains the same items. We'll attempt to restore those items to you, but I highly recommend that you then extract their contents into folders and delete those boxes from your inventory.

You can easily have giant inventories in Kitely, just make sure to not have more than 1000 items per inventory folder so that all the items will be displayed in your viewer. You can place excess items in sub folders of those folders so, for example, you can have a folder called AAA containing 1000 folders, with each containing 1000 items (for a total of 1 million items in folder AAA's subfolders).
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Selby Evans