Zombie Infestation

Ask questions about creating worlds, using worlds, etc.
Arton Tripsa

Zombie Infestation

Post by Arton Tripsa »

Zombie Avatars or Avatars Stuck?

For the last four days or so, avatars’ bodies remain standing in my worlds after log off and do not disappear for a very long time until the world is emptied or shut down by me... This has happened to at least 4 different avis, all on different versions of FS or on Singularity, and on 2 different worlds of mine….and everyone sees it like this, not just one person...everyone can see that they are indeed offline. They disappear from the online friends list. However should someone ’share’ some objects on the list of ’Nearby people’ they are still there. Even though their owners are not...

The people who go zombie or, in reality fail to log their avatar out completely, vary from incident to incident so it’s not the same folks either witnessing it or enduring it each time. And it’s not in the same worlds. So far it has happened in The State of Writing and Parrot Beach.

Today when inworld on SOW I progressively saw it happen to 4 avatars, one after another. And others saw it as it was happening, not just me. So I am guessing I am not just going mad....or been bitten by a zombie. And btw we have all tried clearing out our viewer caches.

Help...
These users thanked the author Arton Tripsa for the post (total 3):
Dot MatrixSelby EvansIlan Tochner
Ilan Tochner

Re: Zombie Infestation

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Arton,

Are these avatars connecting from the same network? (e.g. from inside the same school network)

Are these people able to log into another Kitely world while they appear ghosted in your world?
Arton Tripsa

Post by Arton Tripsa »

Hi Ilan, thanks for replying.

No, not on any connecting network.

As soon as these avis log into Kitely again onto the same world where their ghost is, their ghost vanishes. We tried today to leave the ghosts behind and tp to other Kitely worlds to answer your question but as you see from other message I sent about tp'ing we could not tp or even take a LM to another world. It is as though once we enter one of my worlds we are stuck. Also everyone is having the most unusual graphical glitches. Today I am going to get folks to log straight into another world that is not mine in Kitely, in pairs, and then see if they ghost if one of them leaves that world. if both avis leave at once the world shuts down and then the ghosts disappear.

If an avi ghosts it also is not affected by the 'time out message'. They can stay as a ghost for hours until the world closes down.

I am sorry this is so complicated...

Thanks for your time.
Arton Tripsa

Post by Arton Tripsa »

Dear Ilan,

Today 2 of us teleported from State Of Writing over to Four Winds in Kitely. Then my friend logged out. He ghosted in Four Winds. Then he logged in at SOW with his avi (which had lost voice). BUT his avi's Ghost remained in Four Winds.

So there were TWO instances of the same Avatar logged in to Kitely at the same time!

Then he logged out of SOW a second time and his ghost *still* remained at Four Winds but he got his voice back. Then I tp'ed back to SOW.

We then tried to repeat the experiment but then we both got the “Internal error. Can’t tp you” when we tried to return to Four Winds.

However much later on I re- entered Four Winds via the web page after it had closed down and his Ghost had disappeared (because the world had gone offline again).

I am sure this is a very difficult issue to troubleshoot so I am just trying to give any relevant info I can. Please let me know if I can test anything else. I am concerned - one of my members did say that they were very discouraged because their experience of Kitely is being compromised. I am worried because I don’t want to lose my people.

And all these probs for me seemed to start straight after the recent update. However I would like to add that my experience as a whole in Kitely has been wonderful and I appreciate all the hard work that has gone into making this such a great support system. But I feel atm that a cat jumped inside the server(s) and played havoc when no-one was looking. It's becoming surreal.

Myself and other members of my group think this is the weirdest thing we have ever seen, even in our 10-13 years in SL.

thanks for your help.
Oren Hurvitz

Post by Oren Hurvitz »

We found a possible cause to this problem, and we fixed it. Please let us know if this still happens.
Sugar Lamplight
Has thanked: 0

Post by Sugar Lamplight »

I've occasionally experienced a similar problem in SL. In that case, it was caused by the image of the avatar remaining active in my viewer and could be fixed by right-clicking on the avatar, at which time it would vanish.
These users thanked the author Sugar Lamplight for the post:
Ilan Tochner
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Thank you for that info Sugar.
Shandon Loring

Post by Shandon Loring »

From the realm of "Me Too"..
Sounds like the Overseers have already corrected this, but in case additional info is helpful...

We experienced this issue following our show last Thursday night at "The Citadel" on Seanchai Homeworld.
We had 15 folks at the storytelling but afterwards, the last four folks to leave stayed standing around. They looked perfectly normal, i.e. not in a T-pose or anything. Their various attachments were still functioning, for example one gentleman was smoking a pipe. (oh and btw our homeworld is not optimized.. i just haven't taken time to fix up stuff)
They were each affected by environments, such as hair blowing in the wind. They were insubstantial though, I could walk right through them and not push them around, and they were not affected by clicking on them left or right clicks. The viewer reported them as offline, and I could not TP them home or eject them, and they were not racking up KCs by their attendance inworld, though they were all there for more than hour until I too logged off. I never went back to look for myself though, i realize now I should've done that, but I wonder what I would have said to myself.

As I say, sounds like the Kitely Magicians have probably fixed this by now, but in case this info helps just wanted to mention it. We'll certainly report any future oddities.

Now of course, we could certainly test better if everyone in Kitely came to our Live Storytelling session tomorrow night! :lol:

Ilan, Oren, thank you as always for your dedication and fast response.
These users thanked the author Shandon Loring for the post (total 2):
Ilan TochnerArton Tripsa
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Thank you Shandon for this additional info and for your great shows :-)
Arton Tripsa

Post by Arton Tripsa »

Well I think you nailed it - the probs appear to be solved. Thank you very much Ilan and Oren for all your HARD WORK! The zombies have left, we just tested it with 4 people and none of them ghosted on my world or on another kitely world :-) And now we can tp! thank you - very grateful.
These users thanked the author Arton Tripsa for the post (total 2):
Ilan TochnerOren Hurvitz