Hardware for Kitely (other Grids)

Ask technical support questions about other topics
Michael Timeless

Hardware for Kitely (other Grids)

Post by Michael Timeless »

Once upon a time I was a hardware geek...That was over a decade ago. I wanted to preface my remarks with that, because given the right amount of money I would simply build another system.

I travel extensively, working for an airline, so, until this weekend I relied on my Alienware laptop, high end I7 (2015), Nvidia graphics, SSD, 32gb of RAM. Needless to say it worked like a charm in all virtual worlds. Then it did something really bad.
It died Saturday.

The repair cost for a new motherboard are not worth the cost of replacing it (over 1k).

So, for any current hardware geeks out there, what is the minimal needs of the Phoenix Viewer for Kitely. I assume at least an I5, 8gb of RAM, and an Nvidia GPU? I'm too close to retirement to swing another high end laptop and my home system is perfect. What would be the least I could get away with, get in world and maybe still build with a reasonable 128m draw distance at medium settings, on a new laptop.

Mike
These users thanked the author Michael Timeless for the post (total 3):
Ilan TochnerArton TripsaSelby Evans
Keith Selmes

Re: Hardware for Kitely (other Grids)

Post by Keith Selmes »

I think your basic spec is quite correct. Naturally more is better, but my PC and laptop are about the same.
My laptop is a Dell 6420 with a ram upgrade to 8GB, bought used on ebay about 3 years ago. I believe the CPU is a mobile I5 equivalent. The NV graphics is a bit dated and has only 512MB ram, which I think is a bit minimal.
These users thanked the author Keith Selmes for the post:
Michael Timeless
Selby Evans

Post by Selby Evans »

You can get away with no Graphics board if you have integrated graphics.
https://virtualoutworlding.blogspot.com ... -card.html
I have both on my laptop and stopped using the Nvidea because the integrated graohics gives adequate performance for me/
These users thanked the author Selby Evans for the post (total 3):
Ilan TochnerMichael TimelessTonia Kara
Brayla Sana

Post by Brayla Sana »

While the minimum specs will work, I do recommend at least a discrete graphics card or chip so you can view Opensim the best (advanced lighting, materials, etc.

I am running an admittedly aged AMD FX 8320 (which I plan on upgrading to Ryzen soon, but for reasons other than Opensim/Kitely as it runs fine.)
I have 16 GB ofDDR3 ram on this system. One of the reasons I am waiting to upgrade is RAM prices.
I have a GTX 960 4GB graphics card.

As you can see, it's not the "latest and greatest," but it is good enough to give me decent FPS (30-70 depending on how intense the build is) with ALM and shadows enabled. I can achieve really good results, as you can see from the images below.
Attachments
Without ALM Enabled No Shadows or AO 90 FPS
Without ALM Enabled No Shadows or AO 90 FPS
With ALM Enabled with Shadows and AO 76 FPS
With ALM Enabled with Shadows and AO 76 FPS
These users thanked the author Brayla Sana for the post (total 3):
Ilan TochnerMichael TimelessTonia Kara
Dadiella's for Fashion and Brayla Sana Gallery for Building!